Product Suggestion: Surface Numeric Volume indicator

• 11 December 2017
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello! My whole family loves Sonos. We do find setting and normalization of volumes to be a challenge, however: once we get volume "just right" it's hard to get it back once we've ad-hoc upped or lowered volumes in the various rooms.

I'd love to see some (non-geeky, subtle) way where a numeric indicator of volume (0-100?) could be surfaced in the Sonos app, so it would be easier to get the volume levels right and reset them to favorite settings as well. As it is, the sliders available in most apps give convenient control, but it's very hard to use them to reproduce sound settings on the fly. I've used python libraries like SoCo to get and set these volumes, but that's not a method that most users would be able to refer to.

Thanks for considering!

~Jeff

11 replies

This will not add as much value as you may think at first it will. There is often so much variance in sound levels delivered from one album to the next that what 30/100 means is not a standard sound level, but varies accordingly.
Userlevel 1
Right, but the numeric value would at least be a constant for that speaker, which would be a start.
Yes, but what happens after that start? Back to the square one of having to fiddle with the volume control to get the desired sound levels when the strength of the input signal changes as it frequently does - what is really needed is volume normalisation across sources so that once set, volume levels needs not be disturbed as often as they need to be at this time. But I also do not know any system that does this effectively.

Sonos has visibly scarce development resources that just now are fully engaged in voice control bug fixes. Where by the way, Amazon has provided a way to command a volume level between 1 and 10 via voice, that is available on Sonos as well. All of the aforesaid being the case, I don't see this feature being developed in a hurry.
Userlevel 1
Are you speaking for Sonos, or are you just a freelance wet blanket?

Btw, the iPad app has exactly what I'm looking for within the Alarms Creation dialog, which is great! I'd just like to get that functionality surfaced in the other apps.
Do you expect every forum member to agree with all your demands? And become a wet blanket when that does not happen?

Sonos employees entitled to speak for Sonos are marked as such in their posts. And claim to read every post here, so your ask has been read if you believe that claim.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you checked out sonosequencer? It lets you set as numeric value I beleive.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Numerical volume would be a great addition to the app.
Userlevel 1
Hey Kumar, this is not a demand. This is a feature suggestion, along with an explanation of why it would be useful to me, as a customer. I assume that is of interest to the Sonos product managers? But if it's not useful to you, that's fine! If it's not an idea for you, just move on. As we've discovered, it's implemented in some versions of the app so it must be useful to some people.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hey Kumar, this is not a demand. This is a feature suggestion, along with an explanation of why it would be useful to me, as a customer. I assume that is of interest to the Sonos product managers? But if it's not useful to you, that's fine! If it's not an idea for you, just move on. As we've discovered, it's implemented in some versions of the app so it must be useful to some people.

1) It's not implemented in any versions of the Sonos app. the product referenced by Chris is a 3rd party product not endorsed by Sonos

2) Kumar is correct. The perceived volume is not only a function of the volume selected for that speaker (and could have a value indicated in the controller) but of the level in the source. As you carefully described your reasons for needing to be able to have a visual indication of the level selected by the Sonos controller unless you only listen to a very limited number of songs the huge variation seen in music source level will render the results highly unsatisfactory
Userlevel 1

It's in the app Alarm dialog, and despite the variance in music volume, I find it is useful in order to establish a baseline.
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
"Alexa set volume to 60%" works for me 😉

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings