Question

Prevent access to Sonos for public sonos set up

• 21 May 2017
  • 6 replies

I have read quite a few posts such as https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/password-to-avoid-guests-changing-music-36704

I have a dual band router and guest mode enabled. As such, when connected on guest network and I try to access the Sonos via the Android app, I'm shown that Sonos is searching for the system and can't find it! This is great.

The issue is, whilst logged onto the guest network, when I use a casting app (to send music) I can access the speakers and as such, stream! This defeats the purpose of the guest network which was the advice given on the cited post above.

More worryingly, this actually appears to corrupt the guest setting on the router because afterwards, I can access everything via Sonos (whilst connected on the guest network). However, I am assuming this is an issue of the router, not the Sonos system!

I've seen many pubs/function rooms etc use Sonos systems and as such I have to believe there is a way to make it secure but I've just not found any tutorial or detail on how.

Is it possible? I believe there is no password (really?????) but I can't see a why to lock the speakers to a router either...

Any suggestions would be very much welcome

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The technical know-how needed to setup a Guest network on your router is slightly above the technical know-how needed to play a round of Candy Crush. Most routers have both a built-in Guest network and a user friendly app to activate it and other features. If you set your router's password, you can setup a Guest network.
Seems to me that people with private local network resources shouldn't be offering their WiFi password to people they don't trust. Never mind technical know-how, there's an element of personal responsibility here.
Userlevel 1
Or, Sonos could just add a password protection mechanism to the controller, so that it's not necessary to make changes to the network specifically for Sonos.

Most people will have neither the necessary network equipment or the technical know-how to do something like this.

Seems to me adding a password to the controller would be easy to do, and would benefit most people who use the product.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm a fan of a bit higher end router that offers individually connected and controlled networks and having an AP on each network that needs WiFi dedicated to that network.

Having just Client Isolation on a WiFi router combination device doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Right, but adding a separate subnet with different IP address range and firewall rules preventing that Guest network from accessing the main network - which is what most routers with a "Guest" functionality do - brings a lot more security than just client isolation. Client isolation is just one part of the Guest network solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm a fan of a bit higher end router that offers individually connected and controlled networks and having an AP on each network that needs WiFi dedicated to that network.

Having just Client Isolation on a WiFi router combination device doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Which 'casting app' are you using? If it's Spotify there's a mechanism for controlling Sonos from the native app that requires explicit authentication through cloud services.

As for any other app, it shouldn't work at all. A 'guest' SSID typically uses a different IP subnet and implements client isolation. No way should the device be able to discover the Sonos players on a private subnet.