Power supply defects too common

• 2 April 2020
  • 4 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

The number of related posts indicate that power unit failure is a common fault on Sonos products and that the only solution is to replace the component at a cost of 70% of the original price. I expect products that cost between $700 and $999 should last more than 3 years. In the last 2-3 years I have had this happen on a Play 3 and now a Sub. I see that others have fixed the problem themselves by changing a capacitor or reattaching loose wires, none of which would cost anywhere near the replacement fee, if an authorised repairer was available. Coincidentally I have not have any other problems, and for this reason have become suspicious that the frequency of power unit failures across these products could be an inbuilt defect designed to cause regular replacements to occur. Right or wrong I cannot justify the cost of repetitive expensive replacements for the sake of what may be the result of a loose wire or an inferior capacitor that could otherwise be fixed for less. Combined with the fact that I now also have to Trade up a Play 5, the maintenance of this already expensive system is getting out of hand.  As much as I have enjoyed being Sonos owner, I am sorry to say that if this problem continues to reoccur, and the option to repair remains unavailable, I will not be replacing anything and that will be the end of my Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No idea what you are talking about. I have seen several posts talking about power supply failures on the Bridge. This refers to the power cord on aging devices that have not been on sale for years.

And this forum is like a hospital.. The 99.9999% of people with no issues don't come on here.

I am sorry if you have had the misfortune to have had hardware faults but these are actually very rare. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have not seen it as a common problem.   I have seen a few posts and I can say I have never had and issue nor anyone I know (and that's a lot of units).

Remember - a few dozen people mentioning an issue online does not make for a common problem (all the users with never and issue don’t come here to post that their power supply is hanging in there).

Sorry for your issue - unfortunately there are a lot of things that can cause a power supply to go bad..

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m on the “never too safe” bandwagon and have all my Sonos on good quality surge suppressors. How badly they are needed is arguable but my experience with lightning in southern Arizona has inspired me to play it safe.

None of my several Sonos have experienced a power related failure and I’ve had some dating back to 2006. I don’t have a Bridge and I don’t think the failure there is surge related.

I’ve seen several places try to make a go of a Sonos repair business, none lasted long. Might be why Sonos isn’t interested in getting into it.

I had a BRIDGE, but the power supply never failed on it. I upgraded to a BOOST because it had a better network in SonosNet 2.0, as well as redesigned Wi-Fi system with better network interference rejection.