Question

Power on Sonos Move

• 3 October 2019
  • 10 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies
It seems that I can only turn on the Sonos Move if it sits on it base. Is this the way is supposed to be?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi RPV

Not sure what you mean by turn-on as the Move goes into a low power state after a time with no activity. Could it be that you are turning the Move OFF thinking you are turning it on.

If what you say is occurring then I'd say the battery is drained and needs to charge. However, charging should only require a few hours to make the Move register with battery power. In 8 hours or less you should have a full charge.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I believe you can check the battery charge level in the controller app
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good answers guys! One more thing to add, when it's fresh out of the box, the unit does need to be put on the charging cradle for first time setup. After that, Move will power down at 6% power, and won't power back up until it's been charged to 5% or more.

Hi was this ever resolved? I’m having the same issue. The onarge battery status lights blink and there’s plenty of juice left but it won’t turn on unless I sit it on the base station

Userlevel 7

@Dustin Thrasher

Hi

Each time the Move is placed on the charging Ring the orange LED’s light up momentarily and after a few seconds go dark. The Sonos app shows the percentage of battery charge along with a battery icon. 

If the Moves’ battery is less than 100% a lightening-bolt is supper-imposed on the battery icon to indicate that the battery is being charged. Once the battery is fully charged the lightening-bolt disappears and all that remains is the percentage (100%). 

When off the charging Ring the Move automatically goes into a low power-state  and eventually turns itself off. To bring the Move back requires depressing the power button on the rear. 

I hope this explanation is sufficient. If not feel free to come back with additional questions.

Cheers!

I understand that but the issue I’m having is that unless the move is on the charger it doesnt turn on. I know it has enough battery that it should turn on. All that happens is when I hit the power button the orange lights blink slowly. They never stop until i put it on the charger

Userlevel 7

Hi Dustin Thrasher

Assuming that you have checked the battery status in the Sonos app and you’re seeing at least 50% capacity then there’s something else amiss. Therefore if, you can’t return the unit I suggest you submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this forum and call Sonos Tech support.  You might also try contacting Sonos Tech support via Twitter or Facebook.  However, I believe you’d be better served via phone in real time.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

According to this page a Flashing Amber light on the Sonos Move indicates the battery power is less than 15%. If it is flashing amber then it implies you have turned it on, so it should work in theory, providing the power is not so low it has shut down. If you believe there is more than 10% charge remaining and the orange light is flashing, then it could indicate there is something wrong with the device I would suggest.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226?language=en_US&utm_campaign=english-doc-care-led&utm_medium=led&utm_source=doc-care

Badge

Battery does seem to be an issue.  If I take my fully charged move off the base and turn the speaker off (as to travel with).  I try to turn on only 4 days later to use, the battery is drained.  This has happened several times.  You have to keep the move on the charging base at all times to keep battery charged.

Is this normal?

Userlevel 7

@nbnverb 

You may find this interesting. Click the link. Cheers!

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/move-battery-drain-test-6831876