Question

Possible to connect/network multiple Playbar(s)?

• 26 September 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your attention, replies and advises.

I am exploring options around wireless sound system - before I invest in one (Currently non-sonos user - or at least, perhaps maybe, for the moment).

I would like to ask, if anyone had networked 2 units of playbars to a single TV sound source?

My bedroom has a window that allows me to see/watch my TV that is placed in the living room - This is currently done by turning on the volume on the TV set, almost near MAX 😛 (When trying to watch the TV from the bedroom)

I am toying with the idea of having 01 unit of the Playbar (let's call it, "Primary Unit") connected via Digital Audio In (Optical) directly to the TV in the Living Room; and the same "Primary Unit" will also be plugged/hardwired directly via the RJ45 Ethernet port to my wireless router.

I intend to deploy an additional Playbar (let's call it "Secondary Unit") inside my bedroom. I do have RJ45 port in the bedroom, therefore I can connect the "Secondary Unit" both wirelessly and/or hardwired to the same wireless router.

Assuming both units are powered on all the time, i.e. 24x7 always-on, my question will be :-

Question 1: Is this setup, even viable/feasible, technically?

Question 2: When watching the TV, will both Playbar(s) produce sounds from the TV, as source, at the same time?

Question 3a: Can I then, choose, which one of the unit will play only? (e.g. Primary Unit plays, Secondary unit does not play?
Question 3b: Can I again, choose, which one of the unit will play only? (e.g. Secondary Unit plays, Primary unit does not play?

Question 4: Primary Unit plays the sound from TV source, while the Secondary unit plays from a different audio source, maybe MP3 on my smartphone or spotify?

Appreciate if anyone can help/share the experience.

Again, Thanks for helping!

Regards,
R.C.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You could do all of the above. Only caveat is that when TV sound is playing the non-optical Playbar will lag the other by about 70ms. For music sources sync will be perfect.

Essentially you are turning the non-optical Playbar into just another Sonos speaker, so may be better and more cheaply served by a Play:5 or a pair of Play:1s
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I'm struggling to visualize this setup. There's a window inside the house that lets you see from the bedroom to the living room?

My inclination is that your use may not be ideal, but I wouldn't want to say for sure without better understanding.
Just wanted to add that for your sonos speakers in your bedroom, there really isn't an need to hardwire them into the network. Unless you have wifi issues, wifi would work just as well.

If you really want a playbar in the bedroom, the 70ms lag is an issue for you, and if you have access to physically wire between the two areas, then it may be worth looking into connecting the 2nd playbar by optical as well, using some sort of optical switch. That would eliminate the 70 ms lag. Each playbar would see the tv as it's own line-in source. You could set the primary to autoplay the line in, and maybe the 2nd to only play tv when you manually set it to.

But really, I think you're better off at least trying a pair of play 1s first. If it's not satisfactory, you can return them or use them as surrounds in your living room.