Question

Positioning of subwoofer

• 13 January 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge +3
I had the sub upright (vertical) at first and found that the bass was barely audible (imo). So I decided to place the felt pads in place and lie it down horizontally. Are there some people out there who prefer this horizontal position for the sub? (I seem to like the SQ in the horizontal). Are there downsides to it? I was thinking it might be more prone to dust in the inners. Thanks for responses.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

sub? (I seem to like the SQ in the horizontal).
A good reason to keep it that way then; Sonos supports that kind of placement as well as the vertical one and dust ingress is not going to be any more than from vertical. The cones won't allow any dust to get past their mounts, but the ports will. Little needs to be done about that, except keep the Sub in use.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
In my set up I did not like the sub in the horizontal position. I have mine corner loaded with the back and side approximately 8 inches off each wall. It does get “boomy” at times but I do not mind it. As far as being a dust magnet, I solved that with a ColorYourSound sub cover. It’s like a spandex glove for the sub. It looks really nice and now my youngest child cannot drop any more crayons in it! They have them on Amazon for $60 (usd) with all types of colors and even wood and marble look. They are also machine washable
Badge +3
Thanks for both responses. I’m getting a nice bass response in the horizontal.

Thank you. The sound is great!!!
Do Trueplay and see if that makes it even better; if not, leave it toggled off. You might see bass get a little leaner with it toggled on and that may sound better to you after some time.
Badge +3
.For some reason I do not have the “position” toggle switch. I do have it on another sub in a different room but no no toggle switch for the recent subwoofer. Is there something I need to do to get this position feature? Thanks

UPDATE: I got this answer in another thread.
Care to share the answer?

I've just upgraded and added a sub to my set up, loving it so far but to have it up front with the rest of the AV it had to be close to a wall and I was finding it too boomy. I've just switched it to laying flat below the TV unit. Seems okay so far but if there's another way to optimise the sound aside from true play I'd be interested.

Thanks