Answered

playing HDMI Audio Through a Move

• 5 July 2021
  • 7 replies

I have Sonos in several rooms but have only used it to watch TV or listen to Apple Music. I recently added two Moves for my backyard and love them. 

I now want to add a projector and 120” screen and would really like to play the audio through the Move speakers. Is there a way to get audio from the projector to the Moves, either through the app or Bluetooth? The source for the projector will likely be a Tivo Mini, Xbox, or Roku connected by HDMI. 

The only thing I could come up with was to connect my Arc in the family room to the projector to get audio on Sonos and then group the Moves with the Arc. I could then turn the volume all the way down on Arc and up on the Moves. That feels way too convoluted and I’m hoping someone here can steer me to something simpler.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 6 July 2021, 04:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

The easiest way is to stream the audio via Bluetooth or AirPlay to the Moves from a Bluetooth or AirPlay-supported streaming device.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If your PJ has Bluetooth, use that. If not, there are no other easy way. Sonos is not well suited to PJ use due to the lack of usable connections on most PJs.

If your PJ has Bluetooth, use that. If not, there are no other easy way. Sonos is not well suited to PJ use due to the lack of usable connections on most PJs.

You cannot use both Moves though if you’re using bluetooth. Since your PJ likely can only bluetooth to a single speaker and the Move cannot operate as a stereo pair in bluetooth mode.  For that reason, if you have good WiFi coverage in that location and an AppleTV source for airplay, I would go with that. 

For that reason, if you have good WiFi coverage in that location and an AppleTV source for airplay, I would go with that. 

Thanks for all the suggestions and clarifying that Bluetooth will only work on one speaker if I can even make it work. Just one follow-up, when you suggest AppleTV/airplay, I assume that means sources such as my Xbox are out of the question since it doesn’t do airplay ☹️

For that reason, if you have good WiFi coverage in that location and an AppleTV source for airplay, I would go with that. 

Thanks for all the suggestions and clarifying that Bluetooth will only work on one speaker if I can even make it work. Just one follow-up, when you suggest AppleTV/airplay, I assume that means sources such as my Xbox are out of the question since it doesn’t do airplay ☹️

Not that I can think of, as AppleTV doesn’t have a passthrough feature, as far as I know.  There is probably some complicated way to get it to work, but someone who knows more about Apple would have to answer.

This is precisely why we say that Sonos doesn’t make a great solution for use with projectors. And no, Apple does not have a “pass through” feature. You’re beginning to get into that convoluted area where we end up suggesting an HD Fury Arcana, and a Beam, and a bunch of long cables. It’s tech, given enough will and money, anything is possible, but you’re trying to force a fit here. 

Yes, you can modify a Ferrari to pull a semi trailer, but wouldn’t it make more sense to just get a truck to do so?

It’s unfortunate that there isn’t a simple way but I’ll have to consider an alternative such as dedicated non-Sonos speaker for this application. Also never heard of the HD Fury so I appreciate the referral.

As a car guy, I also like your analogy as it resonates, but a Ferrari pulling a trailer is a clear example of wrong tool for the job. Having a speaker play audio from a variety of sources feels like it’s not an unreasonable expectation of the product - unfortunately I’ve just hit one of those desired uses. Regardless, I get your point and appreciate the response. Thanks all for taking the time to reply and give me advice!