Playing from macbook pro web browser

• 8 July 2018
  • 3 replies

I'd like to consider a sonos One for a wireless speaker in my studio apartment. I can't exactly find an answer that you can use it as an external speaker for a macbook. Basically I want to be able to play things that I'm either watching from either a web browser like chrome, a file, or film editing software

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Honestly, since the Sonos speakers are not designed to be used as computer speakers, I wouldn't expect any resources from Sonos to be put on this.

What you would need to do is use the AirPlay 2 implementation built in to your Mac's OS to send any signal to an AirPlay 2 available speaker.

This is Apple's software, not Sonos'. All the Sonos does is report to the network that it's available as a receiver of AirPlay 2. Everything else happens on the Mac OS.
Until Sonos releases their AirPlay 2 implementation (some time really soon, I think), there isn't an effective way to do so. Sonos wasn't designed to be a computer speaker, but a streaming speaker. The only way to do it currently is to connect a wire between your headphone out port and a line in on a PLAY:5, or one of the CONNECT twins.
Any update on this? I stream shows through my MacBook. I"d love to be able to choose my Sonos as the audio output. ETA?