Playing from macbook pro web browser

• 8 July 2018
  • 3 replies

I'd like to consider a sonos One for a wireless speaker in my studio apartment. I can't exactly find an answer that you can use it as an external speaker for a macbook. Basically I want to be able to play things that I'm either watching from either a web browser like chrome, a file, or film editing software

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Until Sonos releases their AirPlay 2 implementation (some time really soon, I think), there isn't an effective way to do so. Sonos wasn't designed to be a computer speaker, but a streaming speaker. The only way to do it currently is to connect a wire between your headphone out port and a line in on a PLAY:5, or one of the CONNECT twins.
Any update on this? I stream shows through my MacBook. I"d love to be able to choose my Sonos as the audio output. ETA?
Honestly, since the Sonos speakers are not designed to be used as computer speakers, I wouldn't expect any resources from Sonos to be put on this.

What you would need to do is use the AirPlay 2 implementation built in to your Mac's OS to send any signal to an AirPlay 2 available speaker.

This is Apple's software, not Sonos'. All the Sonos does is report to the network that it's available as a receiver of AirPlay 2. Everything else happens on the Mac OS.