Playbase suddenly won't connect to wifi

I've had my Sonos Playbase for almost a year and have never had any issues with it. However, recently, it has stopped connecting to my wifi. My wireless router is an Asus RT-AC3200 and I have not changed my wireless settings. Other devices in the house connect just fine. I've physically plugged the Playbase into my router and attempted to go through the wireless setup screen again, but each time it says that it can't connect to the wireless network. I've even reset the Playbase to factory defaults and went through the setup process again, and still it won't connect to my wireless network, sitting just a few feet from it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've had my Sonos Playbase for almost a year and have never had any issues with it. However, recently, it has stopped connecting to my wifi. My wireless router is an Asus RT-AC3200 and I have not changed my wireless settings. Other devices in the house connect just fine. I've physically plugged the Playbase into my router and attempted to go through the wireless setup screen again, but each time it says that it can't connect to the wireless network. I've even reset the Playbase to factory defaults and went through the setup process again, and still it won't connect to my wireless network, sitting just a few feet from it.

Hi kevanbrown,

Welcome to the community. Can you attach your PLAYBASE using an ethernet cable so that it shows up in your app, then send in a diagnostic report? If you reply with the confirmation number, I can take a look for you.
I am having the same issue with my Playbase. I just changed wifi networks, and all of my Sonos speakers stopped working. I tried reseting each speaker to factory settings and re-adding them, but they fail. The wired Playbase seems to be the root cause of the issue. I cannot connect to the WiFi settings in the Playbase under Settings->Advanced Settings->Wireless Setup. Any attempt to connect to wifi network fails authentication, from any app. I have run diagnostics. The confirmation number is 687164347
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the same issue with my Playbase. I just changed wifi networks, and all of my Sonos speakers stopped working. I tried reseting each speaker to factory settings and re-adding them, but they fail. The wired Playbase seems to be the root cause of the issue. I cannot connect to the WiFi settings in the Playbase under Settings->Advanced Settings->Wireless Setup. Any attempt to connect to wifi network fails authentication, from any app. I have run diagnostics. The confirmation number is 687164347

Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like there's something going on with the wireless card on your Playbase. Please reach out to our phone team who can take over from here. You can find our number and hours here.
Hello SONOS, I am having the same issue with my playbase now one year after being connected. I can not get the base close to a wired connection easily... can you help?
Well, that's more information than in your other thread. Perhaps if you were to submit a system diagnostic, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution to this missing connection.
I am another one with Playbase / wifi issues. I have a setup of Playbase and two Play 1's for surround. After a year or so of all being (mostly) OK I noticed there was no sound from the rear Play 1 speakers. When I checked the app I found the Playbase was apparently 'unplugged'. This had happened before with and was fixed with assistance from these threads.

Looking for more assistance on these forums I found a thread suggesting plug ethernet in because it may have missed an update. Did that and it instantly updated to 9.2. After unplugging ethernet the Playbase appeared 'unplugged' again and there was no sound from either Playbase or the Play 1s. Plugged the ethernet back in and ran the wifi setup. That fails every time. Still no sound from the surrounds either.

I have 'removed' the surrounds and set them up again. The app can turn them on and off but I only know that because the lights change. There is no sound at all from the play 1s even with the Playbase plugged into ethernet and playing audio from my phone. I think this may be beacuse the Playbase is WM0 and the Play 1s are WM1? I'm unclear how to het that to change though.

When I disconnect the ethernet - which I need to supply data to my Movistar+ decoder - audio from the Playbase is lost also because of course it's no longer on the network.. TBH I rarely if ever use the setup for music. I'm only doing so now to try and troubleshoot but that is kind of irrelevant as it should work as advertised.

I am getting audio from my TV via the Playbase but no surround via the Play 1s. The output of the Movistar box is Dolby Digital Plus. I have tried switching that to just Dolby Digital but it made no difference to the lack of surround problem. That signal is then passing though an LG C7 oled TV. I have also played with the sound settings on that changing the output from Optical/HDMI ARC to just LG Soundsync (Optical). Again no improvement. I'm not surprised by that as my DD+ to Optical/HDMI ARC setup had worked perfectly for ages.

All help appreciated!
My diagnostic number is 268784694
If you have a Twitter account, then contact the Sonos customer care there. Keep the diagnostic number on hand.

https://twitter.com/sonossupport
Thanks Smilja. I don't have twitter (or facebook etc). Anti-social I know. I will email them from the link earlier in the thread. Old school. :8
Okay. Include the following:

- a brief description of the issue
- the confirmation number (268784694)
- the serial number of the Playbase (look it up here)
- Residential or Shipping address
- daytime phone number
Thanks Smilja. Will do,