Answered

Playbase plus two Play:1's ..for music..

• 13 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi 

In my lounge I have a Playbase and two play:1’s for surround sound.  I love the set up for movies/TV etc. It all works great. 

When playing music I have set Sonos use all three (i.e. not as surround sound) as you should.

I think it sounds pretty good for music as I assume (?) that the Playbase  takes up most of the bass load (and more?)

But what would be a next step up for music playback, or is there one that is even worth it. I could swap the play 1:s for Sonos Fives but that would be expensive (and can I use Play fives as surround speakers or would I have to keep the play1:s?) and would they work with the Playbase in music setting? 

I could add a Sub to the system but again how much would that be a step up with the Playbase already in the room? And please note I am happy with the PlayBase for movies etc, I have no desire to chase more Bass, it’s loud enough, I am more interested here in improving Music playback.

Any help appreciated, I do like the play 1:s + Playbase for music but it’s hard to know what the impact of adding anything would be  for music.. 

cheers!!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 September 2022, 21:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I have Ones for surround duty with my Playbase. Whilst the Playbase bass notes are good, adding the Sub makes a huge improvement. My vote: go for the Sub. 

You could replace the PLAY:1s with Sonos Fives as surround speakers, if you wished. They’d work in exactly the same manner, as the software is the same.

Not sure I’d do that, though. I’d probably leave the PLAY:1s in place as surround speakers, and put the pair of Fives in front of the listening area, as a separate stereo pair in whatever room you listen to in. Then I’d use the PLAYBASE and PLAY:1 surrounds for just the TV, and the pair of Fives for music. 

Adding a SUB to a PLAYBASE is not generally done, although it’s certainly possible. The design of the PLAYBASE includes a certain amount of sound that’s supposed to be subwoofer like. It’s not a bad thing to add a separate speaker to handle that, though.

But you could just bond the SUB with the separate pair of Sonos Fives, too, and use the set for just music. Honestly, if I were about to buy a pair of Sonos Fives, I’d listen to them without the SUB (as I do actually use them) before deciding whether or not there’s a need for a SUB. It’s a matter mostly of three factors. Your ears, your music choices, and your wallet.  And I’d consider the soon to be released Sub Mini to pair with the Sonos Fives, if it was needed.