Answered

PlayBar Optical as source for entire house?

I'm new to the forum and considering using Sonos for a whole house sound system. In addition to music, I would also like to be able to hear the TV as I move about the house. Is it posdible to use the PlayBar Optical input as source for full sound for the entire house, not just surround sound? I'm considering using the playbar in the living room, with a play 1 or 3 in both the master bedroom and kitchen.

Also, is there much to recommend the 3 over the 1? I don't listen to things particularly loud, and while I like the bass to sound full, I am by no means a basshead.

Thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by Stuart_W 13 February 2017, 17:12

If you have a Playbar and other Sonos speakers in different rooms (IE they are not set as surrounds) then you can group them with the Playbar and they will play TV sound - they will have a 70 ms delay but won't be an issue if you can't see the TV.

As to Play 3 over Play 1 the consensus appears to be that the Play 1 delivers an excellent audio output and perhaps the Play 3 isn't as much better as the size or price increase suggests

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you have a Playbar and other Sonos speakers in different rooms (IE they are not set as surrounds) then you can group them with the Playbar and they will play TV sound - they will have a 70 ms delay but won't be an issue if you can't see the TV.

As to Play 3 over Play 1 the consensus appears to be that the Play 1 delivers an excellent audio output and perhaps the Play 3 isn't as much better as the size or price increase suggests
Thanks! I think I can make a decision on what to get. Keeping my fingers crossed that things will work much better than my attempt with Heos.
Thanks! I think I can make a decision on what to get. Keeping my fingers crossed that things will work much better than my attempt with Heos.
Thanks! I think I can make a decision on what to get. Keeping my fingers crossed that things will work much better than my attempt with another system.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings