Answered

Playbar noise permanent crackling sound

• 6 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

My problem already detected and existing and never disappeared since 2018, then due to transfer from Italy to Gemania I did not finish the assistance path, (now I made a move and I brought it here.
The playbar emits a whistle, high-pitched hiss, like fax noise, tried again at factory settings reset, with and without optical cable connected to the TV, add and removed other speaker from system updated firmware, tried with other power cable, off and disconnected nearby devices, disabled wifi , tried network cable, etc., as soon as I feed the playbar, the whistling whistle starts, tried other electrical outlets but the annoyance is always there, I don't want to make other attempts to exclusion and waste more time, in the case of procedures that already have previous solved the problem then I can give it a try.
since the problem is known and had by many other people I ask to send my playbar directly to service, and also an estimate before shipping of the repair costs based on the cases already resolved.

diagnostic number: 1486495154
video with audio problem: 

old numeber of ticket: 00241147

Thanks a lot

Angelo

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 6 April 2020, 17:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi @angelo.distefano. Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community. 

Sonos does not currently offer a repair service for players. As per our warranty, the player would be replaced if the conditions for replacement apply.

Is this sound you describe present when no wire is being made from the Playbar to the TV?

If so, I would like you to Factory Reset the Playbar and re-setup the speaker. Please provide an additional diagnostic report after that has been done and I would be happy to take a look.

Badge

This is my diagnostic number 659700071

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Densden, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me check it for you.

Based on the diagnostic, the errors found in the report are network-related issues like interference, audio drop out due to sync errors, audio playback error, and low wireless signal strength. Also, your Playbar is wired to your router but the WiFi is disabled. Only the Playbar is in SonoNetwork and the rest of your Sonos products are connected to your wireless network. 

About the crackling sound on your Playbar, let me suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you.

1. Unplug the optical cable from the Sonos Playbar and the TV. 
  2. Unplug the power cable from your TV, the Sonos Playbar, and any connected audio source (such as a cable box or video game console). Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
  3. Reconnect the optical cable to your TV and the Sonos Playbar. Inspect the optical cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
  4. Update the TV’s software (if available)
  5. Check for Sonos update - Settings > System > Check for updates.

You may address the issue with your network by performing the steps below:

1. Sequential reboot to refresh the connection of your network and all your Sonos devices.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Play music from your music service to test.
  2. Enable WiFi on both of your wired speakers
    • In the Sonos app, tap the Settings > System > Tap the name of the room (wired speaker) > Under Products tap the model of speaker > Select Enable WiFi
    • Test audio playback

If you’re still hearing a crackling sound on your Playbar, It would be best to work with our phone support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting step or possible product replacement of your Sonos Playbar. If you have any questions, feel free to reach back.