Question

Playbar and two Play.1 surround sound not working while watching tv

• 2 December 2014
  • 82 replies

Playbar and two Play.1 surround sound not working while watching tv

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

82 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Sometimes when I turn on my TV there is no sound from my PlayBar and two Play 1's - I just switch TV off and on and that sorts the problem, give it a try but not a solution as to why this happens.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Silly question but have you tried turning up the level of the surround speakers. The effect of the surround is very subtle on some channels.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Billy, 

We'd be happy to help. Could you take a diagnostic, and reply here with the confirmation number? I'd like to take a closer look at your system. Also, can you confirm that you have one piece of your Sonos system hardwired to the router?

Thanks so much, Lesli
Thank you. My diagnostic # is 4182428. Yes my sub is connected to my router via an Ethernet cable .
Userlevel 2
Good evening, I'm having a similar problem - grateful for you help please.  I've just installed two new Play 1s to go with my playbar and have completed the setup but they are not producing any surround sound.  Any ideas please?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Billy, 
My apologies for the long response time. I wanted to check in and see if you are still having problems. 
From you diagnostic, it looks like the connection for your 5.1 set up is stable. Can you check and see if your "TV Auto-Play" is enabled? When TV Autoplay is set to On, TV audio automatically plays through the PLAYBAR when you turn on your television—if music is playing when the TV is turned on, the music immediately stops and the PLAYBAR switches to TV audio. Additionally, if the PLAYBAR is in a room group when the TV is turned on, it automatically drops from the group. 

Using a handheld Sonos controller 
  1. From the Settings menu, select Room Settings.
  2. Select the room the PLAYBAR is located in.
  3. Select TV Setup and Control -> TV Autoplay.
  4. Select On or Off.
Using the Sonos Controller for Mac or PC 
  1. Select Manage > Settings (PC) or Sonos -> Preferences (Mac).
  2. Select Room Settings if it is not already highlighted on the left.
  3. Choose the room the PLAYBAR is located in from the Room Settings for drop-down.
  4. Select the TV Setup tab.
  5. Check the TV Autoplay checkbox to turn this setting on, uncheck to turn it off.
  6. Close the Settings window when changes are complete.
Thanks Billy,
Lesli 
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Disco, 
We'd be happy to help. Can you also send me a diagnostic number? I'd be happy to check it out.
Thanks,
Lesli
Userlevel 2
Hi Lesli,

Diag no is:4215993

My system is a playbar with 2 x play 1s.  I have Sky HD running into the Sony TV which is outputing to the soundbar via the optical wire.  The speakers all work fine when I stream music but when the TV is on I have no surround sound - very frustrating!

Thank you,

Disco
I am experiencing a similar problem, whereby when streaming a radio stream my surround play 1s connected to a playbar keep erratically dropping out and then coming back seconds later. The problem seems to have developed in the last week . I have changed the wireless channel and removed and re-added the play 1s to the playbar surround group with no affect. All sonos components run off a sonos bridge. The diagnostic report is 4216009. Any clues as to what is going on?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi User 294946, 
Happy to help. Quick question, do they only drop when streaming radio? Or does it happen with all content?  For a super quick troubleshooting step, can you unplug each unit for about 30 seconds and then plug back in? After that, play some music. If the music drops again, can you take a new diagnostic and reply here with the number?
Thanks so much, Lesli
After unplugging for 30 seconds, it still drops out on streaming both.radio and music (Napster), the latest diagnostic report no. 4218349
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just to confirm...  only the surround speakers are dropping? Or the entire group?
Userlevel 2
After unplugging for 30 seconds, it still drops out on streaming both.radio and music (Napster), the latest diagnostic report no. 4218349
Just surround, playbar is fine.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Mike, 
Could you grab a diagnostic and reply here with the confirmation number?  I'd be happy to take a look. 
Thanks, Lesli
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks Disco. Just replied to you above. 
Just my surround Play 1s keep dropping out, sometimes one, sometimes both yet the sound bar keeps working
Just my Play 1s keep dropping out either one or sometimes both, yet the sound bar keeps working
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just my surround Play 1s keep dropping out, sometimes one, sometimes both yet the sound bar keeps working
Thanks for getting back. It looks like you are experiencing some wireless interference. Let's try a few troubleshooting steps to help you out.
1. Change your wireless channel to channel 1
2. Check the Play:1 that is acting as the right rear. Is there anything around it that might be interfering with the wireless antenna? 
3. Unplug the ethernet cable that goes into the BRIDGE and replug into the ethernet port.
After these steps, if you are still experiencing dropping, please submit another diagnostic and reply here with the new confirmation number. 
Thanks so much, Lesli
I'm having the same issue. My Soundbar works w/ /TV and music. The  Play:1's work when there is music, but no sound with TV. I've adjusted the surround volume and still nothing. I have a different  Play:1 in another room connected to my router. I've set the Sonos network channel as suggested.  Here is the Diagnostic number: 4409410
Same problem here. Bought 2 Play 1's and a Bridge today. I already had the Play Bar.
All has been connected following the instructions. Sound of TV (Bar) goes up and down when I press the volume buttons on both Play 1's. There is just no sound coming out of them.
Diagnostic number: 4410355
Same problem here. Bought 2 Play 1's and a Bridge today. I already had the Play Bar.
All has been connected following the instructions. Sound of TV (Bar) goes up and down when I press the volume buttons on both Play 1's. There is just no sound coming out of them.

Looks like I've got the same problem as Disco. How was that resolved ??
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

what exactly are you experiencing

White noise in the left Play 1 speaker. Very quiet (though better) sound in the right Play 1 speaker
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you checked to make sure no other wireless devices within about 10 ft. of the Play:1s (like a cordless phone).  I would call Sonos to look for interference issue if you can't find.
To me that means the playbar isn't sending any surround info to the Play:1's for what you are watching. 
Thanks for answering Chris. It says "Stereo". I tried it HBO and it's the same.