Question

Playbar and headphones

• 7 June 2016
  • 4 replies

My Samsung TV works over a Sonos Soundbar. When my kids watch TV I do not want to need to listen to that brainless teenage stuff, so was thinking of buying a headset that would get ver them the sound and me my evening back. I see that the soundbar has its WiFi identifier but how do I make it happen with the preferably wireless headset ?
Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Would you care to have another go at explaining what you are trying to achieve, please?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
You cannot use headphones with the PlayBar (or any Sonos equipment).

However, you can possibly use headphones directly from your TV.
Badge
I had a similar problem and thought I'd post my solution in case its of help to anyone else in future.
I have a Samsung 49KS8000 TV and a Sonos playbar. My wife likes to use headphones as she has lost hearing in one ear.
So I needed to send audio to both the playbar and a pair of bluetooth headphones.

The TV is set to send sound out via the optical output (encoded in Dolby Digital) to the Sonos playbar.

I ordered the following components from Amazon (I'm sure there are tons of alternatives):
1. LOKEKE Toslink Digital Optical Audio Splitter Adapter 1 in 2 Out (£10)
2. Bluetooth Transmitter Bluetooth Receiver 2 in 1 Bluetooth Adapter Optical Toslink 3.5mm Aux RCA Wireless Audio Adapter with APTX Low Latency Bluetooth (£22)
3. ARAS Digital Audio Decoder, Converts Coaxial/Toslink digital audio signals to analog L/R RCA Audio Outputs,Support Dolby Digital & DTS (£15)
4. A good pair of bluetooth headphones. I went with some iDeaUSA Bluetooth Headphones (£46)

I was hoping to get away with just item 2 above; it takes in optical audio, has an optical audio out (which I hoped it would just pass through) and it transmits bluetooth. But in the end I plugged item 1 into the audio out from the TV (so splitting the optical output to 2 ports). One port goes straight to the Sonos as before. The other goes into item 3. This decodes the optical audio (including dolby digital, it wasn't easy to find a small cheap device to do this) and then passes the analog audio into the bluetooth transmitter.
I paired the bluetooth transmitter with the headphones and there you go. Not cheap but it works pretty well. There is a bit of noise from the decoder I think but Mrs Read is fine with that. Audio delay is very minimal.
Item 1 is passive. Items 2 and 3 are usb powered so I use the ports on the tv to power them.

Hope thats of use to someone 😃
Userlevel 2
Thanks for your suggestion - that could work!