Playbar and DVDs

• 15 March 2014
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi New user and looking to add a Playbar, BUT....reading LOTS of unhappiness about "DTS" and compatibility.

people talk about Playbar not playing their Blueray/DVDs. Can this be correct?

I don't have Blue ray discs, just 100s of ordinary DVDs. Will play bar play the sound on those?
Apologies if this is daft question but lots of people seem to be pointing to huge problem

thanks for advice

Philip

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Other than the Samsung BD-F5900, what other player convert? Crutchfield drew a blank
Not very likely. They’ve not indicated any desire to do so since the PLAYBAR came out years ago. Which is when this request began popping up.
Roger that Chris. Thanks. Real question is will Sonos push a Patch?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are many Blueray players that will convert all DTS to a Dolby Digital Standard. I would not want to run set to PCM stereo. If you just purchased that player I would look at exchanging it for one that did.
I have the same problem- 4k Blueray wont play on the Sonos Playbar on DTS setting. Just bought a Sony UPP-X700 player to match to my OLED Sony 65 inch. To make it work you have to set the player to PCM with is only stereo. Big bumber! Is SONOS working a S/W upgrade?
Userlevel 1
Phillip,

My solution the the DTS Blu-ray issue was to purchase a Blu-ray player that converts the audio output to Dolby Digital 5.1.

I picked up a Samsung BD-F5900 and it works great.

He doesn't have any blu-rays, so at this time that's not relevant.
Phillip,

My solution the the DTS Blu-ray issue was to purchase a Blu-ray player that converts the audio output to Dolby Digital 5.1.

I picked up a Samsung BD-F5900 and it works great.
Userlevel 1
Yes it should play all of your dvds, the DVD standard required a Dolby Digital soundtrack, which is what the Playbar supports, the blu-ray standard only calls for dts, which Playbar doesn't support and the majority of blu-ray discs don't include a Dolby Digital soundtrack, which is where the problem arises. With DVD though you should be fine.