Question

playbar and comittment for DTS playback firmware upgrade

I have just added the Sonos Playbar to my samsung smart TV and have discovered the lack of DTS functionality through reading this forum. I find it disappointing that the best we can get is a stereo effect through the playbar?  My originial search was based on identifying a way of using my existing Onkyo nr509 AV Amp with the playbar however that appears to be a no go option as well. The concept of buying and adding the playbar as a step change to the surround sound system I had has left me feeling I have done the wrong thing?  Slightly cheated in a sense too, I hear what Sonos are saying that the majority of content is streamed and agree we use netflix however I also enjoy having a collection of Bluray discs and feel Sonos should fulfil both requirements.  If anyone can give us an  idea as to when this may be re-considered as it looks like Sonos have closed the subject down from reading through the forums.  Do I revert to my old system and return the Playbar to John Lewis could buy a couple Play3's instead?  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

"I'm sorry Ryan but NOBODY converts DTS to Dolby only PCM."

You basically call the rep a liar, and you do it using all caps, which is universally understood to be yelling. I call that blasting off. And if you are so aware, you should have known about the converting players, or at least have looked up the specific models Ryan listed before accusing him of misinformation.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I have a Samsung JS9500 and it converts DTS to Dolby 5.1 on the fly through optical to the playbar
Userlevel 4
Badge
I agree with Chris that the best and simplest solution would be for DTS support to be added. Despite being a huge Sonos fan and a Sonos reseller, I find Sonos' policy on this puzzling at best.

It's not SONOS's fault. DTS is owned by a patent holding cartel that refuses to license to anyone needing a software implementation, which I'm assuming the playbar does by due to the choice of hardware SONOS made. There is nothing SONOS can do as the owner of DTS simply refuses to license.

See here for similar problems for Synology:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=229&t=73233&hilit=snowatom&sid=0dc8c2c2ceee485eec2fd42ec355bfa9&start=135

Software patents poison *everything*. Lobby congress against them please.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
[quote=Jeremy Allison]It's not SONOS's fault. DTS is owned by a patent holding cartel that refuses to license to anyone needing a software implementation, which I'm assuming the playbar does by due to the choice of hardware SONOS made. There is nothing SONOS can do as the owner of DTS simply refuses to license.

seems like someone managed to convince DTS to allow software based decoding
http://firecore.com/blog/12414
I have a Samsung JS9500 and it converts DTS to Dolby 5.1 on the fly through optical to the playbar
please could you tell me how,i try find out how but failed on my JS9500
I am able to get DTS HD converted to DD 5.1 for blueray discs connecting my PS3 directly to playbar by changing the BD AUDIO OUTPUT settings to bitstream mix. When i go to settings/ about my SONOS, it states line in : DD 5.1.

But regular DVD's with DTS soundtrack still output stereo. Did anybody have luck with standard dvd's converting DTS to DD 5.1 using PS3
I thought it was part of the DVD standard that it included a DD5.1 soundtrack (whatever else it may also contain). So maybe the challenge is not format conversion but format selection? I'm not a PS user but wonder if this link may help.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/audiooutput.html
Or maybe this will help, although it seems the reverse of your problem

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/bluray-51-v-dvd-51-6033022
Thanks for the response John. Yes, usually both DD 5.1 and DTS tracks are included on a DVD. But i have some Dvds that has DTS Track only. So thought of asking.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Did this Ambery Converter does DD+ to DD & DTS to DD on the fly? Can u please confirm.
I too think this is a massive issue and have a HDMI switch box with a built in DTS HD and DD True HD converter, with optical output. Problem I have is I have to switch optical lines from TV to switch box when I want to watch a Bluray through my XB1. The decoder box is only $99, which I'm honestly surprised they don't add it to the Playbar, with dual optical inputs. I would really like grouping too of Play 1/3s in surround sound.
http://www.ambery.com/2hddodtsdihd.html Or just do a google search for HDMI DTS Converter with optical out. A stack of them will come up and I purchased mine off an eBay store
To SONOS marketing team:
Guys, as a marketing professional, I am very surprised by this product marketing problem of yours!
As far as I understand, the problem comes from the fact that the DTS license is expensive and SONOS does not (yet) want to invest in this - as perhaps they see this feature as not essential, more on the marketing side of the product.
However, as there is a pool of customers or potential customers who would PAY for this extra feature, SONOS could take advantage and transform this problem into an OPPORTUNITY! It is very simple: just add this OPTION to the Playbar (or Connect) for an extra fee! It could be very easy added with a software upgrade, perhaps in the app. If you don't believe people are willing to pay for this feature, just take a look in this forum at what solutions and workarounds people found (some of them very expensive) to add this DTS feature to their system.
This could easily be a secondary source of revenue for SONOS, from the same line of products.

And yes, you can thank me by offering this license to me for free... 🆒 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
It could be very easy added with a software upgrade, perhaps in the app.

I wish it was that simple. The PLAYBAR would require hardware changes too as optical can't handle DTS.

I wish it was that simple. The PLAYBAR would require hardware changes too as optical can't handle DTS.

Except that for the simple DTS (not DTS-HD), it would not! The optical output is more than capable of handling the simple DTS 5.1, as it is capable of handling Dolby Digital 5.1.
Of course, for DTS-HD, TrueHD, etc (all HD formats), there's another story and in those features would indeed require hardware changes (probably adding a extra HDMI output).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Fact is theynconfirmed long ago it can't be updated to add dts. I would assume there is some 7.1 or so solution coming down the pike as playbar is long in the tooth for today's home theater.