Question

playbar and comittment for DTS playback firmware upgrade

I have just added the Sonos Playbar to my samsung smart TV and have discovered the lack of DTS functionality through reading this forum. I find it disappointing that the best we can get is a stereo effect through the playbar?  My originial search was based on identifying a way of using my existing Onkyo nr509 AV Amp with the playbar however that appears to be a no go option as well. The concept of buying and adding the playbar as a step change to the surround sound system I had has left me feeling I have done the wrong thing?  Slightly cheated in a sense too, I hear what Sonos are saying that the majority of content is streamed and agree we use netflix however I also enjoy having a collection of Bluray discs and feel Sonos should fulfil both requirements.  If anyone can give us an  idea as to when this may be re-considered as it looks like Sonos have closed the subject down from reading through the forums.  Do I revert to my old system and return the Playbar to John Lewis could buy a couple Play3's instead?  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

For Christmas I bought myself a top of the line Panasonic Blu-ray player that has the digital optical cable output. I can finally listen to Blu-rays in theater surround sound on my $2000 Sonos home theater system. I also bought a toslink switch so I can run the optical cable directly to my Sonos Playbar from the TV, Apple TV and my new Blu-ray player. 

The switch worked perfectly, now I have true surround sound when watching Apple TV, the difference is phenomenal. Then I switched to my new Blu-ray player well all the previews sounded really great I'm thinking man this is what it's all about. Surround sound was fantastic just what I wanted. Then the main feature started and no sound I'm thinking what is wrong with my new Blu-ray player perhaps I have a bad disk. So I put in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie and it played perfectly beautiful surround sound. Then I put in another movie and no sound from the feature film, so I cursed my new Blu-ray player, thinking it's the problem.

Then I started doing research on the internet trying to figure out what's wrong with my new Blu-ray player. Then I came across this thing called DTS and started reading blogs about how the Sonos is not configured to receive the DTS signal. So I just couldn't believe what I was reading that the problem is my Sonos and not the Blu-ray player. Sonos doesn't support DTS what the heck I replaced a perfectly good Panasonic Home Theater system with what I thought at the time was the most innovative advanced sound system I could buy. Well I must say the Playbar sounds beautiful when playing music from the Sonos app. However I feel cheated when I want to use the system as a home theater. Sonos should have never advertised this system as a home theater when in fact it's not. Enhanced 2 channel surround sound is not what I wanted.

What optical switch do you use? What does it do that is more "optimal" than my PS4 converting between DTS and DD? 
Userlevel 2
For Christmas I bought myself a top of the line Panasonic Blu-ray player that has the digital optical cable output. I can finally listen to Blu-rays in theater surround sound on my $2000 Sonos home theater system. I also bought a toslink switch so I can run the optical cable directly to my Sonos Playbar from the TV, Apple TV and my new Blu-ray player. 

The switch worked perfectly, now I have true surround sound when watching Apple TV, the difference is phenomenal. Then I switched to my new Blu-ray player well all the previews sounded really great I'm thinking man this is what it's all about. Surround sound was fantastic just what I wanted. Then the main feature started and no sound I'm thinking what is wrong with my new Blu-ray player perhaps I have a bad disk. So I put in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie and it played perfectly beautiful surround sound. Then I put in another movie and no sound from the feature film, so I cursed my new Blu-ray player, thinking it's the problem.

Then I started doing research on the internet trying to figure out what's wrong with my new Blu-ray player. Then I came across this thing called DTS and started reading blogs about how the Sonos is not configured to receive the DTS signal. So I just couldn't believe what I was reading that the problem is my Sonos and not the Blu-ray player. Sonos doesn't support DTS what the heck I replaced a perfectly good Panasonic Home Theater system with what I thought at the time was the most innovative advanced sound system I could buy. Well I must say the Playbar sounds beautiful when playing music from the Sonos app. However I feel cheated when I want to use the system as a home theater. Sonos should have never advertised this system as a home theater when in fact it's not. Enhanced 2 channel surround sound is not what I wanted.

John, I was looking at the pictures of the rear of this model and it does not show a Digital Optical output, it actually shows a coaxial digital output. However the data spec sheet says it does have a digital optical output. So perhaps they have the wrong picture of the back, take a look at your link and see what you think. I want this model however it says the model number is no longer available, so I'll look for the comparable unit. I'm glad there is a Blu-ray player that can decode the dts and convert to dolby digital. I just need to make sure I get the right one.      
Userlevel 1

Martin the conversion of DTS to DD is "dirty" and should never have happened in the first place. Those that want DTS sound are comproming the DTS sound by doing this conversion. The point of a DTS converter it to send the Playbar a decoded 5.1 or 7.1 source, which the Play will do.
Userlevel 2

I'm with you Martin, I'm just looking for something to give a me a DTS conversion to 5.1 and I'll be happy. The 5.1 sounds really good on the Sonos.

Thomas.  Replacement seems to be the BD-H6500.  Link to manual below.  On quick look it appears to be OK for you, but please take a careful look. John

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201402/20140204140842395/02465A-BD-H6500-ZA-ENG-0204_BM...
Userlevel 2

Thanks John, BD-H6500 it is! The manual says it will convert DTS to Dolby Digital so I'm a happy camper. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have the predecessor, the BD-F6400 and use the optical out and transcoding to get Blurays to work (ie. produce DD5.1). It works.
Userlevel 1

I got a question for you all. I have a samsung smart tv and a hdmi switch with optical splitter capabilities. This way al my hdmi devices (Rpi, ps3, Tv decoder) can pass on DD5.1 to the playbar and 2x play:3s. DTS is transcoded to DD5.1 or downmixed to 2.0. It works as expected. There is however a functional problem. I also enjoy watching netflix on the smart tv. The app itself is installed on the smart Tv so the Tv generates the 5.1 and not some other hdmi device. By using the hdmi switch there is no optical out from the tv to the sonos or the switch. There is only the optical out from the switch to the playbar. I could get ANOTHER optical switch but this would start getting ridiculous. I could also use netflix on the ps3 but I simply want to watch it on the smart tv only. Any of you who also encountered the same problem? Any other suggestions that I'm overlooking?
On my side, I've sold my entire SONOS system because of the DTS issue and the behavior of the Sonos team.
I've bought a Samsung Home Theater system and the Samsung Shape System. Now, I can listen my bluray with DTS-HD audio (not DTS only, but DTS-HD), can listen to my Spotifiy radios by Spotify Connect on my Samsung Shape and I will never buy once again a Sonos product and inform all my friends, my family and my colleagues about this situation with Sonos.

So: "Dear Sonos Team, two words for you: good bye" !
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You never said hello - you registered to say goodby and complain.  Sonos wasn't for you.. fine but that makes you a troll.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
You never said hello - you registered to say goodby and complain. 
+10 There Chris 🙂
No, you're wrong : https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/dts-support-still-needed-wk2p1?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bf... My pseudo was razowski84
But anyway, I let you with your sonos system, good luck
And I can also write this comment with my razowski pseudo if you prefer...
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Super Troll
I like when some users, even if they added lots of post are adding some remarks to user who they just want to give them feedback.
From my point of view and regarding the price :
1) it's an error to not add the DTS support and getting a feedback from the company telling us to do transcoding is a joke
2) regarding the politics problems between Sonos and Spotify is a second killer element. I've prefered to switch to another provider where I can use my spotify application and send music to the sound system
3) I'm not a troll, just an unhappy user and I wanted to give my feedback because the feedback of Sonos left me with a bitter taste after having spent so much money
4) I put an end to this and I wish you good luck with your Sonos system if this one fits your needs.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I wish I could afford (not just financially) to do similar. However, i believe that Sonos is a gnat's chuff from getting it right for 99% of us rather than the 75% (I admit, I've just completely made up those stats, but you get the point, yes?).

The 'simple' addition of DTS, Spotify Connect and AirPlay would go someway. Sonos could offer a discounted switch to dissatisfied users or a trade-in for Playbar 2.0
Sonos should and could be untouchable if it made such improvements. Us 'trolls' are often told to go elsewhere or stop whinging, but where would the fun be in that?! There'd also be less push to drive Sonos and others forward in the quest for perfection and betterment.

I did lots of research but still got bitten. I want Sonos to succeed - it's in my interest as a customer that they do so. I also believe that they have the potential to remain untouchable with just some simple improvements. I could swap it out, but I would prefer not to, for now. I already did that with Squeezebox and Pure products.
Userlevel 2
You are right to feel the way you do, it is a lot of money to spend on a inferior product. Sonos advertises the ability to create a home theater with the purchase of 1 Playbar, 1 Sub, and 2 Play1's. At a cost of around 2 grand, that is a lot of cash to pay for a system that does not support DTS the latest and greatest sound format.

I have that very same system, with 2 additional play 5's in living room and 2 play 1's in my bedroom. For someone looking for a true Home theater they need to look else where. With that being said I'll never give up on Sonos, I love playing music on the Sonos. The ability to play music throughout the house, the user friendly app, the sound quality blows me away. I mainly listen to my own iTunes library and Pandora I'm a big fan of Pandora.  Sonos is a high quality innovative product. Over time I'm sure will see advancements made on the Playbar including the DTS support. 

It's not perfect and what is now a days with technology changing as fast as it does. I'm sticking with Sonos, for simplicity sake my next TV will have the ability to pass the DD or the DTS signal to the Playbar.                     
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm amazed at this outrage against simply transcoding DTS-only tracks to DD. Chances are your players will do it and your TV will throw it through TOSLINK. If not, simply get rid of your discs and just use Kodi/XBMC or whatever... I'm quite confident there's no single human being capable of telling apart DTS from DD in a double blind test.
Sonos has already given an statement about this issue: there will be no DTS support for the Playbar and they didn't ever told it would. Coming to this thread just to keep pestering instead of trying to find workarounds or alternatives looks childish and a waste of time that should have been better spent researching before purchasing.
Badge
@ Fran - how about doing some research before commenting?  The whole premise of Sonos is its simplicity.  You plug - you play.  It has been the one and only hifi purchase I have made that my wife and kids could instantly use and have kept using. 

Now luckily for me, i didnt invest in a Playbar before finding out it didnt support DTS, but you can imagine my disappointment when I realised that my desire for a one-house system could not be fulfilled with Sonos without hacks that make the system no longer wife and kid friendly.

Furthermore, more and more TVs are passing DTS via the inputs from connected devices or directly from in-built apps like the awesome Plex app on Samsung.

The people on this thread are only here to voice their disappointment.  I bet everyone who has complained would jump for joy if Sonos added DTS to the playbar - myself included.
Userlevel 1
The sheer amount of whinging is just insane. I suggest those that want DTS a through a specific product shouldn't buy ANY system at all. Within months a newer and better sound source will be available such as Dolby Atmos and unless you buy an Onkyo 636 or higher you won't have it. And then as I said earlier HDMI will change and then all the current systems will be redundant again. I'll say it again so the 1% of audiophiles get it, SONOS decided to use software updates to enhance their products as technology improves. Who really knows what DTS is planning or what SONOS has planned in the future or future products. The Play 3 and Play 5 haven't had hardware updates, so to think they will make a Playbar 2.0 is silly and unnecessary. In regards to not being able to use Spotify, grow a pair and use a different steaming system. The majority of complaints remind me of a 2 yr old chucking a tantrum in the shops because they can't have the toy they want.
Well, I came here once to make sure I wasn't dreaming when I noticed my 800$ "HiFi" (LOL) Playbar didn't support DTS. I was shocked, pissed and frustrated about Sonos for not supporting DTS but mostly mad at me for assuming things like this at my age!

I was also within my "evaluation" period at Futureshop and this thing went back right away.

Yes you can get a switch box, you can convert DTS to DD different ways, you can matrix 2 channels in 5, but the reality is, if you want real HiFi home theather you need to get the right stuff and it's not a Playbar, Period. If you can't tell the difference between DTS and fake 5.1 the Sonos is good enough and it is useful and simple as hell... It's just not HiFi as Sonos claim it to be, not for theatre anyway.

Stop whining and do something about it. If you want DTS get something else.
Badge
Their is a big difference between whining and making constructive comments... 

Case in point 1)  I just went through a selection (old to new) of my blu-ray collection and about half were DTS.  If I don't have a blu-ray player that supports transcoding I cannot use these discs with the Playbar.  Point to note, the newer movies had a much higher percentage of only carrying DTS tracks (Sonos take note - this problem is only going to get worse for you).

Case in point 2) - on the Sonos web site these exact words are stated in the home theatre section "With four versatile performers – PLAYBAR, SUB, and a pair of rear speakers – you’ve got immersive 5.1 sound. And with it? The power to play anything and make it sound amazing."

Actually - you cant play anything.  In many countries including the one I live in, this is called misleading advertising. 

Case in point 3) - on the specific Playbar page it says these words "Plays all sources plugged in to your HD TV: satellite boxes, Blu-Ray players, and video game consoles. If it’s connected to your HD TV, PLAYBAR will play it."

Actually, you can't.  Once again totally misleading advertising.

Case in point 4) - a huge proportion of Sonos sales will be done in stores like BestBuy (US), MediaMarkt (mainland Europe), and Currys/PC World (UK) where badly informed sales people who don't know better will sell a Playbar to a customer who at best has quickly read the 'info' on the Sonos website.  Rightly or wrongly, the huge majority of consumers do not do vast amounts of research before buying products - people like that are in the minority. 

This is all constructive feedback.  No whining here.  Nothing but pure and simple facts.  I am sure there are plenty of people who are sufficiently disgruntled with Sonos to raise the misleading advertising with the trading standards organisations in their respective countries.  I personally am not one of them as for 'music in every room', Sonos is hard to beat.  But they have to stop misleading people about their home theatre credentials....

Case in point 1)  I just went through a selection (old to new) of my blu-ray collection and about half were DTS.  If I don't have a blu-ray player that supports transcoding I cannot use these discs with the Playbar.  Point to note, the newer movies had a much higher percentage of only carrying DTS tracks (Sonos take note - this problem is only going to get worse for you).

Case in point 2) - on the Sonos web site these exact words are stated in the home theatre section "With four versatile performers – PLAYBAR, SUB, and a pair of rear speakers – you’ve got immersive 5.1 sound. And with it? The power to play anything and make it sound amazing."

Actually - you cant play anything.  In many countries including the one I live in, this is called misleading advertising. 

Case in point 3) - on the specific Playbar page it says these words "Plays all sources plugged in to your HD TV: satellite boxes, Blu-Ray players, and video game consoles. If it’s connected to your HD TV, PLAYBAR will play it."

Case in point 4) - a huge proportion of Sonos sales will be done in stores like BestBuy (US), MediaMarkt (mainland Europe), and Currys/PC World (UK) where badly informed sales people who don't know better will sell a Playbar to a customer who at best has quickly read the 'info' on the Sonos website.  Rightly or wrongly, the huge majority of consumers do not do vast amounts of research before buying products - people like that are in the minority. 

This is all constructive feedback.  No whining here.  Nothing but pure and simple facts.  I am sure there are plenty of people who are sufficiently disgruntled with Sonos to raise the misleading advertising with the trading standards organisations in their respective countries.  I personally am not one of them as for 'music in every room', Sonos is hard to beat.  But they have to stop misleading people about their home theatre credentials....

I'm sorry but this is what whining is.  If you think you have been mislead (like I was) then do something about.  Writing here won't change anything to the fact that this is a Mickey Mouse home theater solution good for my mom and dad... It doesn't support DTS and never will.  This is a fact.

So hire a lawyer and send them a formal notice, that should get their attention.

Good luck
Userlevel 1

Bahahahaha Hire a Lawyer!!! I would just put it back In the box and buy something else. I'm a sales person in Australia and have worked for 2 of the major electrical companies. I personally have a large Bluray collection and not one of these has DTS only sound, so to be fair I only bring up no DTS support to people who clearly no what DTS is. In a 10 min sales demonstration I'm going to show what SONOS does, awesome music with increased sound reproduction. Then I show them the surround setup as it would be in their own home. Of the 100 people I showed this to only 1 person asked what audio came out of the tv. I'm not going to spend another 5-15 mins explaining what DTS is and how they probably don't use it.
Badge

Actually that is exactly not what whining is:

Whine: to snivel or complain in a peevish, self-pitying way.

No self pity here.  I have just stated facts.  I didn't buy a Playbar because I do research before I buy.  But others have not and others will not before they make the same mistake.  It sounds as though you have more grounds for a lawyer than I do though. 

I accept that Sonos have said the Playbar will never support DTS and I applaud them for being this brave in an increasingly fierce environment where established competitors (Bose) and new competitors (too many to mention) are flooding the marketplace with competitive products.  They may have 80+% market share now but many a great company (Microsoft & Nokia to name but two) have been arrogant as a result of their market share and found themselves in difficulties because of it when something more innovative comes along (Google, Apple).

Another fact - I would happily of bought a Playbar had it supported DTS and if they added it now I probably still would buy one.  Make of that what you will.