Question

Playbar + 2 Play5s vs Playbar + Sub + 2 Play 1s

• 8 February 2017
  • 5 replies

Hello,

Currently I have a setup of a playbar & 2 play 5s Gen 2 as rears. Does this replace the need to have a sub as my current setup doesn't seem to lack bass.

Or I'm I better off using the play 5s elsewhere and buy 2 play 1s and a sub which will give me a better result?

Appreciate your advise.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

It's all subjective, but I tend to feel like you're not maximizing the use of the Play:5s when you use them as just rears, unless you're using them as "full" when playing music. There's just not that much in terms of sound that would be sent to them from a normal 5.1 signal, and certainly not a lot in terms of bass response. Some, sure, but not the same as a full .1 subwoofer.

I'd certainly recommend getting a pair of Play:1s to use as those surround speakers, and a sub to go with the Playbar, and then use that pair of Play:5s somewhere else, where you tend to listen to music more critically.
Thanks Airgetlam. Makes sense.
Don't get the Sub in a hurry; bass being adequate for your needs at this time has nothing to do with the 5 units, so replacing them at the rear with 1 units should not change that state of affairs. Of course, once you add the Sub and get used to its presence, you will miss its absence!
Badge +1
Hello,

Currently I have a setup of a playbar & 2 play 5s Gen 2 as rears. Does this replace the need to have a sub as my current setup doesn't seem to lack bass.

Or I'm I better off using the play 5s elsewhere and buy 2 play 1s and a sub which will give me a better result?

Appreciate your advise.

Thanks

I work with IHDNY.com as an Automation Technician and from experience i will tell you that the bass from the Sub will give you a better experience.
i recommend the latter option which will allow you to us the Play5 elsewhere.
Thanks Kumar and M_Rodriguez for your advice. Started saving up for the sub already!!