Answered

Play5 No light! No sound! No Happiness!

• 7 August 2014
  • 47 replies

One of my Play5's quit working while playing and the light is out. I rebooted the system, unplugged and re-plugged. I even swapped locations and chords with my other Play5 that is still working. No dice. Light is out. I think it is broken. Please help.
icon

Best answer by Moritz M 8 August 2014, 14:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

47 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm really pleased I've checked this forum, I was going to buy a pair of Play 5s but not now I've found they're so dodgy.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks jgatie. Good to know Sonos isn't for people who like their sound system to work 🙂
Me too - same problem. And no, the factory reset didn't work.
Sonos has been my chosen system for the last 4 years. But where is their response to this issue?
Same issue. Play5 just stopped working. Actually in middle of a song. The other play1s kept playing. Light off. Unplugged, reset, swapped power cord, left off over night, nothing works. Sounds like this is a known problem for Play5s—only have a working life of a few years. Now I’m hoping my two PlayBars, Play3, and four Play1s don’t follow a similar fate or I wasted a lot of money switching from Bose to Sonos. Have been a loyal advocate for this brand, but that will change if their products have a short working life of only 3 years.
i am experiencing the same thing. is this a common thing with the play 5?
I had the same issue on one of my play5s after 6 years of use.
After contacting the support via the online form I was overwhelmed by the generous solution offered by Sonos and I’m a bigger Sonos fan than before.
Hmm same thing has just happened here... my play 5 (version 1) has been working well for a long time, I just tried to use it tonight and it's dead, no response from anything. I have tried changing leads etc, but no light or sign of life at all... I haven't used it for a couple of days, so don't know exactly when it stopped but no response from it at all...
Have exactly the same issue. Please help
382/5000
My Play: 5 1.generation did the same the other day. NOT light, completely dead.
One morning it would not turn out, I just used it in the evening. Has tried to restart and reset without luck. Has changed AC cable, leave it on and off for a long time. It is completely dead and without the white light. But you can not find where to help solve the problem on Sono's website.
Your best bet is to call in to their customer service line. You can find the hours and phone number by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page "Contact us" and then the link at the right of the next page "Skip to see all options".
Badge

Same problem here…

worked fine yesterday, broken today. Does othing anymore, no light, no sound, no-thing 😵

ofcourse... out of warranty (for not so long)

will reach out to support but… (let’s see)

Reached out to Sonos, amazing support! Very happy about it, they reviewed my device and are replacing it… back a big (even bigger) sonos fan, immediately added a couple on my wishlist 😊😊😊

Same problem here. I think they have issues with power supply's in general. I have the issue with Play 5, and connect amp as well. After warranty, they want you to send to them and pay! I like equipment that works for more than a couple, or a few years and craps out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If it is dead put in a phone call to Sonos, they have helped a lot of folks with out of warranty issues. One warning though, if you have opened the unit Sonos isn't going to be happy and your options will be much more limited and likely expensive.
Thanks Stanly_4 - Called Sonos Support - They will replace it free of change - Great Support 😃
Probably best to call Sonos directly, they have more options when speaking with you on the phone than they do here.
Badge

Same problem here…

worked fine yesterday, broken today. Does othing anymore, no light, no sound, no-thing 😵

ofcourse... out of warranty (for not so long)

will reach out to support but… (let’s see)

Same thing happening here 12/29/2019.  Light use Play 5 all of the sudden with no power, no lights, etc.  Tried reset and all other recommendations listed... but still nothing.

Contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It does sound broken ... only other thing I would recommend before calling support for replacement would be to hard reset.

Sonos component:
Disconnect the power cord and leave it disconnected for at least ten seconds. Hold down the Mute or Play/Pause button, depending on which Sonos component you are using, and reconnect the power plug. Continue holding the Mute or Play/Pause button until the status indicator light begins to flash amber. Once the indicator light begins flashing amber, let go of the button. Eventually it will start flashing green and white simultaneously, meaning it is factory reset and ready to add back to your Sonos System.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hello Kurtis, Johan,

If there is no LED showing any indication of a working component it most likely is broken. However two things might be still something you want to consider doing.

The factory reset as mentioned by Chris already, the other thing would be, if you have another PLAY:5 or PLAY:3, to replace the power cables.

If that will not help at all please get in touch with our support via phone since we would not like to gather your address information here.

http://www.sonos.com/support

Thanks,
Moritz
Hello Kurtis, Johan,

If there is no LED showing any indication of a working component it most likely is broken. However two things might be still something you want to consider doing.

The factory reset as mentioned by Chris already, the other thing would be, if you have another PLAY:5 or PLAY:3, to replace the power cables.

If that will not help at all please get in touch with our support via phone since we would not like to gather your address information here.

Thanks,
Moritz

Just received (2) Play5's as part of a $3500 order!! Both Play5's do not turn on (no light at all). Tried working power cords etc. Epic Fail.
Hello Kurtis, Johan,

Thanks,
Moritz

After leaving the speakers plugged in overnight, they were able to be reset, and power on.
Hello Kurtis, Johan,

Thanks,
Moritz

Leave it plugged in overnight. It should work in the morning. Worked on two units for me so far.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No not common at all.  Did you try doing a hard reset of the Play:5 (assuming you have multiple other speakers setup).  If still no lights the unit is dead and you need to call Sonos.

Disconnect the power cord and leave it disconnected for at least ten seconds. Hold down the Mute or Play/Pause button, depending on which Sonos component you are using, and reconnect the power plug. Continue holding the Mute or Play/Pause button until the status indicator light begins to flash amber. Once the indicator light begins flashing amber, let go of the button. Eventually it will start flashing green, meaning it is factory reset and ready to add back to your Sonos System.
i tried doing the hard reset and all the above mentioned steps, which unfortunately didn't work. i've contacted support and hopefully they can sort this out quickly. i saw a couple of similar cases reported on the forums and was very curious what the cause may be. i thought it was very unusual that the device could suddenly go dead after just months of light use.