Answered

Play5 No light! No sound! No Happiness!

• 7 August 2014
  • 47 replies

One of my Play5's quit working while playing and the light is out. I rebooted the system, unplugged and re-plugged. I even swapped locations and chords with my other Play5 that is still working. No dice. Light is out. I think it is broken. Please help.
icon

Best answer by Moritz M 8 August 2014, 14:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

47 replies

Have exactly the same issue. Please help
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It does sound broken ... only other thing I would recommend before calling support for replacement would be to hard reset.

Sonos component:
Disconnect the power cord and leave it disconnected for at least ten seconds. Hold down the Mute or Play/Pause button, depending on which Sonos component you are using, and reconnect the power plug. Continue holding the Mute or Play/Pause button until the status indicator light begins to flash amber. Once the indicator light begins flashing amber, let go of the button. Eventually it will start flashing green and white simultaneously, meaning it is factory reset and ready to add back to your Sonos System.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hello Kurtis, Johan,

If there is no LED showing any indication of a working component it most likely is broken. However two things might be still something you want to consider doing.

The factory reset as mentioned by Chris already, the other thing would be, if you have another PLAY:5 or PLAY:3, to replace the power cables.

If that will not help at all please get in touch with our support via phone since we would not like to gather your address information here.

http://www.sonos.com/support

Thanks,
Moritz
Hello Kurtis, Johan,

If there is no LED showing any indication of a working component it most likely is broken. However two things might be still something you want to consider doing.

The factory reset as mentioned by Chris already, the other thing would be, if you have another PLAY:5 or PLAY:3, to replace the power cables.

If that will not help at all please get in touch with our support via phone since we would not like to gather your address information here.

Thanks,
Moritz

Just received (2) Play5's as part of a $3500 order!! Both Play5's do not turn on (no light at all). Tried working power cords etc. Epic Fail.
Hello Kurtis, Johan,

Thanks,
Moritz

After leaving the speakers plugged in overnight, they were able to be reset, and power on.
i am experiencing the same thing. is this a common thing with the play 5?
Hello Kurtis, Johan,

Thanks,
Moritz

Leave it plugged in overnight. It should work in the morning. Worked on two units for me so far.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No not common at all.  Did you try doing a hard reset of the Play:5 (assuming you have multiple other speakers setup).  If still no lights the unit is dead and you need to call Sonos.

Disconnect the power cord and leave it disconnected for at least ten seconds. Hold down the Mute or Play/Pause button, depending on which Sonos component you are using, and reconnect the power plug. Continue holding the Mute or Play/Pause button until the status indicator light begins to flash amber. Once the indicator light begins flashing amber, let go of the button. Eventually it will start flashing green, meaning it is factory reset and ready to add back to your Sonos System.
i tried doing the hard reset and all the above mentioned steps, which unfortunately didn't work. i've contacted support and hopefully they can sort this out quickly. i saw a couple of similar cases reported on the forums and was very curious what the cause may be. i thought it was very unusual that the device could suddenly go dead after just months of light use.
The two I worked with that needed plugging in overnight (a hard reset did not work) were that way out of the box new. If you have used yours for a few months, then they went dead, it is probably a hardware issue, and you should take advantage of the one year warranty. CheerS!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This is happening to me on a Play 1. I tried the factory reset with no luck. I'll see if it somehow begins working again tomorrow.
I also have the same problem of the right speaker repeatedly and continuously dropping out. I have done hard reboot several times and it reconnects temporarily and is then lost. I have had a good run with Sonos of recent when I first purchased the 5s I had constant problems. To the point that the technology was driving me back to conventional music systems. So it is disappointing to be dealing again with what is clearly a well documented problem. I expect the next step is diagnostic, tech review and waiting. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
SJG: Thanks for reaching out to the Community. You are absolutely correct. Submitting a diagnostic report then replying with the seven-digit confirmation number would allow us (at Sonos) to take a closer look at what is going on. In most cases where speakers drop, the culprit is usually wireless interference of some type. Does this happen seemingly random or does this happen at a particular time of day?

Please submit the diagnostic while the problematic unit is available. This will allow us to take a look at the unit itself or any other problems rather than just looking at the network and Sonos. Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 2
Same happened to me recently with Play 5 (gen1). Factory reset didn't work. No lights on at all even when plugging in. Tried a different cord, known to work, and same experience. No lights.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, jsieben. Thanks for posting! I see that you have been in touch with one of our technicians. Please continue to work with them and let us know what happens. Thanks again.
My play5 is also not powering on. Was working fine and suddenly won't power up, no light. What the hec?
My play 5 has just done the same, it's been playing fine for years but I powered the system down to move the bridge, all other speakers have come back on line, but not the play 5. I've tried the hard reset but no lights, any furter ideas?
382/5000
My Play: 5 1.generation did the same the other day. NOT light, completely dead.
One morning it would not turn out, I just used it in the evening. Has tried to restart and reset without luck. Has changed AC cable, leave it on and off for a long time. It is completely dead and without the white light. But you can not find where to help solve the problem on Sono's website.
Your best bet is to call in to their customer service line. You can find the hours and phone number by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page "Contact us" and then the link at the right of the next page "Skip to see all options".
I'm having the same problem. I have had this for years then one day no light and it stopped working. I am wondering if my ex didnt disconnect it from his email account? I even tried to register it under mine but it wouldnt read it on the sonos app. Not sure where to go with it. Tried factory reset changing cords and outlets with no luck. Any suggestions?
I would submit a system diagnostic, and call in to Sonos to discuss any potential issues that they might find.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm really pleased I've checked this forum, I was going to buy a pair of Play 5s but not now I've found they're so dodgy.
I'm really pleased I've checked this forum, I was going to buy a pair of Play 5s but not now I've found they're so dodgy.

Do you go to the hospital, see sick people, and assume all human beings must be sick?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
How many speakers need to go to "hospital"? I've never had to send one. Worst I've ever had is an internal fuse in an amp popping. Do I assume they're all sick? No, I do not but I don;t see Sonos coming up with a solution on here.

"Change the power lead" is the most ridiculous response possible. When was the last time you had a power lead fail, if ever?

I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the response from Sonos as I've found references to this issue on Play 5s in many places. Perhaps Sonos need a little introspection, put their hands up to a flaw and offer a solution.

My main amp and speakers are over 20 years old and work perfectly, so I'm not going to replace them with dodgy technology that may or may not feel like working.
Well, then it sounds like Sonos is not for you. Take care!