Question

Play5: Hard wired to Wireless Orbi Satellite?

• 19 December 2017
  • 12 replies

Badge +1
This question is about the need for a Boost.

If I hard wired my Play5 into a port on one of my wireless (not hard wired) orbi Satellites, will this do the exact same thing as a boost? Thus I will not need the boost.

I'm not sure because of the satellite being wireless. Where the boost will be hard wired into the router.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I don't know the Orbi system but I assume it's a mesh like Google wifi. Will your original router or Orbi be acting as DHCP server?

To answer your question, you will, I believe, trigger SonosNet (i.e. Boost mode) by wiring a Sonos device to a wireless satellite. Easy to check, look in About my Sonos System - WM:0 means SonosNet, WM:1 wifi. So Boost is unnecessary. If this were Google wifi I'd be telling you to keep all Sonos stuff on the LAN side of the mesh, and not to wire anything to the router anyway, but that might not apply to Orbi.
Badge +1
Orbi is not a true mesh. More like a daisy chain network - if you enable it. Other wise it's more like a star network where each satellite talks to the router. I have mine in daisy chain mode.

So yes. The router will act as the DHCP server.
I still suspect you will find you are in Boost mode by wiring the P:5 to a satellite - but easy to check so give it a try. Anything involving access points increases the unpredictability with Sonos though!
Badge +1
OK cool. Here's what I got so far. So If I disconnect the Boost They should stay in WM:0 - correct?

Why is the ZP's IP the same as the Play5?

Associated ZP: 192.168.1.16
---------------------------------
BOOST: BOOST

Version: 8.2.2 (build 39448021)
Hardware Version: 1.12.1.2-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.14
WM: 0
PLAY:5: Family Sonos
Hardware Version: 1.13.1.7-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.16
One: Master Sonos
Hardware Version: 1.21.1.8-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.17

Moderator Note: Removed product serial numbers
It should stay as WM:0. Try it for goodness sake!! :)

'Associated ZP' is actually telling you that your controller has latched onto the Sonos device with that IP. Controllers do that to talk to the system. There is no duplicate IP address.
Having said all this, if you already have a Boost, it may perform a useful purpose within the SonosNet mesh, even if it is not essential to trigger it.
Badge +1
Looks like the Boost is not needed. What other useful purpose do you think it might provide?

Thanks for the help. Learned something new today.

Associated ZP: 192.168.1.16
PLAY:5: Family Sonos
Hardware Version: 1.13.1.7-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.16
One: Master Sonos
Hardware Version: 1.21.1.8-1
IP Address: 192.168.1.17
OK. It's a mesh network, so any extra node potentially improves the network by providing extra paths.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3

If I hard wired my Play5 into a port on one of my wireless (not hard wired) orbi Satellites, will this do the exact same thing as a boost? Thus I will not need the boost.

Hi DarrylJackson, Wiring the Play:5 to the network does create the SonosNet wireless mesh network like the Boost. As the Orbi is more or less acting as a wireless extender, I don't recommend wiring the Play:5 to it in order to create the Boost Setup. Although this setup may work fine, over time communication issues between the Orbi and the satellite Orbi may arise, which could cause audio interruptions and possible connection issues with your system. The best practice is to always wire the Sonos product creating SonosNet directly to the main router. In many scenarios it's not feasible to keep a speaker wired to the router long term, which is why the Boost was designed. Another function of the Boost is to help extend the SonosNet mesh network (much like a wireless repeater) if there's a large distance gap between two speakers.
Badge +1
So to be clear, the Boost should be wired to the main router. In an Orbi setup using AP mode (wireless on main router OFF), that means the main router (FIOS) not connecting the Boost to the hard wired Orbi router next to it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Boost or play:5 should be plugged in to the main router or the orbi that is hard wired to the main router. Either should work fine.

I beleive he was saying don’t hook to satellite orbi as then communication still has to feed back wirelessly.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I beleive he was saying don’t hook to satellite orbi as then communication still has to feed back wirelessly.

That's correct. In this case, you could technically wire the Boost to the Orbi if desired as it's only in AP mode and wired directly to the router already. We wouldn't recommend wiring a Sonos speaker or Boost to a satellite wireless repeater as it's then communicating information wirelessly. At any point, if the communication between the satellite and the hardwired Orbi have a communication problem, that could then propagate to Sonos as it's relying on that connection.