Play5 gen 2 replacement due to wifi card failing

• 21 September 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +5
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 35 replies
My play5 gen2 stopped connecting to the WiFi in the house recently. I contacted Sonos and sent them 2 diagnostics. Very quickly got a response from Sonos for a return and replacement of the Play5. 2 weeks later, just set up my new speaker today and very happy with the level of service (Play5 was purchased in feb17).

I wonder why the WiFi cards seem to be failing on these units given that they were released on sep15? Are there any stats on failure rates of Sonos devices? Never had any problems with my play1’s, playbar or sub.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Based on the number of complaints, and the assumed number of sales, I'd guesstimate the failure rate to be lower than .05%

I assume that Sonos purchases these cards from a manufacturer, rather than building them themselves, and the provider didn't do an appropriate quality check.

As with all electrical devices, there is a certain failure rate. In terms of Sonos, this particular issue seems to be the most apparent.

Sonos has reacted to the issue with all of the actions I would expect from a company that I would consider to be "quality".