Play1 Speaker volume randomly turns up

• 21 March 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hi there. New to Sonos here.
I am trying out a Play1 for the first time and enjoy it for the most part. But I am having an issue with the volume randomly turning up to a very loud state. There is no one else using the app to control the volume (which was my first thought). Does any one have any ideas on this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi there, I Googled this using your problem title in the search box and it appears you are not alone! This has been posted before on this site, so I suggest you do the same and see if anyone found a solution or a good suggestion. Some theories appeared to be credible, but of course perhaps not applicable to you, so good luck!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
HI folks,

Please submit a diagnostic report from your system after this happens. Then reply with the confirmation number and I'll take a look for you.
Badge
HI folks,

Please submit a diagnostic report from your system after this happens. Then reply with the confirmation number and I'll take a look for you.

Thanks Jeff. The confirmation number is 7213656. It's now turning the volume all the way down.
Hello, Wire Wizard. Welcome to the community, and thanks for submitting the diagnostic.

Your volume should only be changing when you ask it to. I see that you're a Spotify subscriber, are you using the native Spotify app to control your PLAY:1?

If so, we'd like you to temporarily disable the hardware and lock screen controls for the Sonos app on your Android controller and let us know if the behavior changes. Instructions on how to disable these controls can be found here.
Badge
Manny S,

We do have the Spotify app, but not at the same location, so it shouldn't have any effect on the Sonos PLAY:1.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Wire Wizard, is there anyone else in the household who might use the Sonos app on an iPhone or iPad? There is an issue at the moment where due to how iOS reports volume changes, if the Sonos and Spotify apps are both running in the background then volume changes with the hard buttons or the lock screen can cause some crazy behaviour. If there is anyone using iOS there, try uninstalling the Sonos app from that device and see if the problem disappears. On the diagnostic there are actually three more controllers listed other than your Android. I would uninstall the app on all of these, or disconnect them from the Sonos system by selecting 'Reset Controller' in Advanced Settings.

There's also something else on the diagnostic which is worrying, and might be related. It seems like the operating system on the player got stuck at one point and I'm concerned it was related to wireless issues, despite the signal strength looking very good. Could you post another diagnostic taken whilst some music has been playing for 10 minutes or so? For this one we want increase the diagnostic logging level of the player before submitting it. To do this visit the following URL in a web browser: http://192.168.1.157:1400/diaglevel?module=upnp&level=6

Let us know how you get on.
same problem here - just purchased 2 Play:1s. I seem to be able to recreate it; when Spotify is open AND my SONOS app is open, switching back and forth between the two creates this moment where the volume goes haywire. It goes away when I go into the app settings (ios) and turn off hardware volume control...