PLAY:1 Line In

• 1 November 2013
  • 76 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
A Sonos user would like to have a line in at the back of the PLAY:1.

What do you think about it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

76 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
All Sonos Players  should have a line in.  We are talking pence here, but a lot more functionality.  I'd like to know whether Sonos regrets ever adding a line in to it's P5s as it did not include this feature with the P3 and P1, which are both newer.  It must hurt the sales of Connects.
Userlevel 1
With a line in on play 1 it could be used as a traveling speaker as well. That would be a weary nice.
Today, I bought my first Sonos products - a Play:5 + bridge. I was really impressed and after noticing the line in on the Play:5, I decided to expand immediately. After a bit of research on the performance of twin Play:1s in stereo, I was going to go out tomorrow and pick up a pair of Play:1s to connect to my bedroom TV for dual TV/music playing functionality. After a quick Google search I was really disappointed to discover they had no line in. Adding a line in would mean an instant purchase from me. 
Agreed. I'd like to buy into the Sonos ecosystem, but need line-in function added to be able to listen to SiriusXM on demand.
No line in on the Play 1 (coupled with the lack of functionality to play Audible books from my Android phone) means that not only will I not be buying a Play 1, but I will be taking back my Connect and Bridge that I bought yesterday. I bought a Sonos system to listen to Audible books in all rooms of my home played from my phone. I believed it would do this based upon salesmen and also Sonos's product specifications on their website.

I was misled.
Badge +18

No line in on the Play 1 (coupled with the lack of functionality to play Audible books from my Android phone) means that not only will I not be buying a Play 1, but I will be taking back my Connect and Bridge that I bought yesterday. I bought a Sonos system to listen to Audible books in all rooms of my home played from my phone. I believed it would do this based upon salesmen and also Sonos's product specifications on their website.

I was misled.

I'm sorry you feel misled.  Since you do have a CONNECT, you could use the line-in on that product and play through your PLAY:1.  The Line-In source from any player can be played through any room in the house, including the players that don't have line-in (PLAY:1 and PLAY:3).  

You could also setup an Audible account through Sonos and use that to listen to Audible books downloaded to a PC or Mac on your network.  You can find details on how to setup Audible here.  While a PC or Mac is necessary to host the audiobooks (Audible requires account authentication for all playback), you can still control the sound from the Android App.
I'm also returning my Play 1 for the lack of a line in port.  Very dissapointed.  Without that, I can not use it for on the go situations with work.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Line in would be a great feature on every component, but it seems many people want it for portability. These speakers were never designed for that. They all connect to one network. There must always be a network connection between a controller and a component.
I love using my Play 5 at home in full Sonos fashion.  However, when I work, it is a nice feature to have the option to be able to bring a small, quality speaker to listen to music when on location where a hard wire connection is not always available.  The portability of the Play 1 is absolutely ideal, but it lacks the line in that the whole Sonos family should have.  Even if I had another bridge, I can't always plug that in where I work.  

I had to return my Play 1 for this reason.  If, someday, it is available with a line in option, I would buy it again no questions asked.  Until then I have to look into other alternatives.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Again, even with a line in, it still would not work without a network connection.
The play 5 does.  Why would it not?
It's a direct connection to a computer, iPhone, iPad, or whatever has an audio output that size.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
The play 5 does.  
It does? We'll then I stand corrected.. I didn't know the play 5 worked with only line in, sorry!
It's a direct connection to a computer, iPhone, iPad, or whatever has an audio output that size.

It's very handy feature 🙂
It's very handy feature 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I see! Well then the line in would definitely be an even more valuable feature on all the speakers.
You wouldn't be able to use it as an output while watching a video or something along those lines as there is a slight delay in the audio that way.  If you are just using it as an audio source, its works well!  Needless to say, it would be REALLY nice if it had that input option.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
That's interesting. As I said, these speakers were never designed to be portable, so I'm sure that's why line in was never included with every speaker. But I too have been debating buying another brand for use elsewhere, but it would be great to instead have a Sonos component so when I return home it becomes part of the whole system again.
EXACTLY!  Hopefully this can be implemented so I can buy that product again.
Absolutely! It would be a great feature, I can connect my PCs to Play:1, I have many products from Sonos, would love buys one for the PC as well when they have line in option...
Userlevel 1
Badge
I do not get a wireless signal in my garage.  As such, I end up listening to MLB games and music in my garage with my iPhone speaker instead of using a line-in on my Play:1 and enjoying much better sound.  Especially for the Play:1, I could see people bringing it out on a boat, camping, or to other places where there's power but no wireless network.  Please consider adding this on "version 2" of the Play:1 and Play:3.
Yes very please included a line in in the play  1 en 3 because it makes them more valuble.
Would be great for pc use.
and more logical because there a lot easier to move then the play 5
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Pretty much all the recent competition has line in on all devices - even the most lowly units. Time for sonos to so the same
I install Sonos products and I regularly need to use the Line-in facility.  I have an install in progress today in which the client is elderly and wants to be able to play both vinyl AND CDs through his Sonos system.  It's a reasonable request.  I've had to find an auto switching line switch for the project.  It would've been easier to put one of the players in a different room and plug it into the Play:1.  A pair of Play:1s as computer speakers.
A Play:1 you can take with you on travels.
I think the Line-in feature should be on all Sonos products.
+1 for Line-In on all products