Answered

Play two different artists simultaneously possible?

• 19 December 2017
  • 5 replies

I have a Sonos connect hooked up to my garage stereo and I am considering a Play 1 speaker in the kitchen for my wife. My question is will we be able to listen to 2 different songs at the same time? In other words, would the two systems operate independently?
icon

Best answer by Chris 19 December 2017, 23:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Yes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - they will play independently (she can be controlling one with her phone and you another with your phone ... or both with one phone). You can have them playing two different songs or group the two on the fly and have them playing the same thing in sync.

That's the way Sonos speakers tend to reproduce in a house ... first 1 ... then 2 .... then 10
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The real answer to this question is that it may depend on the music service(s) you use. If both are playing from your own music library on your computer or a NAS, then yes, most definitely. If one is playing from a local library and one from an internet service, then yes, most definitely. If each is playing from a different online music service, then yes, most definitely.

But if both are trying to play music from the same music service, then this is where there may be problems. Some services allow this, since it's all coming from one Sonos system. Others may not, as they see the same account being used on two Sonos speakers. Alternately, if you have two different accounts set up for the same music service, and each person playing music is using their own account, then yes, it will work.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Will it work with Spotify (ie playing trip separate songs on the same Spotify account simultaneously)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It will play multiple streams in the Spotify app within Sonos to various speakers.

I do know though that if you use Alexa to voice command Spotify to a speaker you can only have one stream via voice at one time.