Question

Play one while camping?

• 31 October 2016
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi there everyone, 1st post and all that so if this isn't in the right place......sorry

I've recently added to my Sonos setup by adding a Playbar and an extra Play one for 5.0 surround sound and the Play 3 is in the bedroom.

I used to use the Sonos Bridge when I first got the speakers (1 and 3). Obviously now the bridge is redundant.

My question is does the bridge create a wifi network for the Sonos to work from or does it just extend the existing network?

If it creates ones would I be able to plug it into power while camping and run my play one off it while camping?

Thanks in advance

K

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Yes the Bridge does create a dedicated network for your Sonos speakers. However, the Sonos Controller App stored on your Tablet or PC requires WiFi to communicate with your Sonos Network via the Bridge which is why a router is required. Click the link to see how a Bridge now replaced by a Boost interacts with your Network.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046?_ga=1.115978246.1617335766.1473897203

Assuming you can get a gas generator to create electricity to match your home electrical current here's a wrok-a-round. This assumes you are actually camping in the woods not in a cabin with amenities :8

If you are in a cabin with amenities (i.e water, elcetricity and internet access) the same procedure applies sans the generator.

Take a PC, Router and Two Ethernet cables. Configure the router for Wi-Fi just as you would at home using the PC and Ethernet to connect both. Be sure to encrypt the Wifi signal. Plug the Bridge into a port on the Router as shown in the diagram using the second ethernet cable. Turn on the WiFi for the device that has the Sonos Controller and music to join the network you created (this may be the same PC). All music must be resident on the device. You will not have internet via the router so make sure all Sonos components are up to date before you leave home (unless you are in the cabin with amenities) :8

Cheers!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks Aj, so this isn't a way of connecting my Play 1 to my phone if I'm camping?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I've got an iPhone, will it work on a personal hotspot?
Userlevel 7
In theory I guess you could use an iPhone as a personal hotspot. However, a hotspot depends upon a Cellular connection. As you know Cellular is not always a stable signal. Sonos requires stability. I've never tried it personally. As you are contemplating it you might do us all a favor and try it at home and post back with your results 🆒
Userlevel 7
Here's a link to another discussion on using a Phone as a hotspot for Sonos. Lot's of trial and error IMO:

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/how-do-i-setup-my-system-to-work-with-mobile-hotspot-41682
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can use a hotspot but the hotspot can't still be the actual controller. So if your using hotspot on your cellphone you can't use that cell phone as a controller and must have another device to act as controller.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks for your help guys, I'll give it a go and let you know.
Either way the Bridge won't be of any use to you, it's disabled when in Wi-Fi mode. You'd need to set up the connection to the phone's hot-spot before you go away as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Could he take his router with him (or a travel router set up at home first) , then control & play music locally stored on his phone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes. As long as music on phone.
Could he take his router with him (or a travel router set up at home first) , then control & play music locally stored on his phone?

Yes but it would then be difficult, if not impossible, to use online services. A 4g router that he could put his sim card into would work.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks for the answers, when I get 5 I'm going to dig an old router out and set that up then see if I get any joy.

I don't need to use online services I just want to be able to play the music from my phone on a decent speaker when I'm away.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I've seen a lot of questions about this online and nobody actually seems to know. Would be good if Sonos either updated it to work with a phone or come out and say if it's possible and if so, how!
If you don't need online services then a router is all you require to create the network, then you can play from "This iPhone", provided you actually have music stored on the iPhone of course.
I've seen a lot of questions about this online and nobody actually seems to know. Would be good if Sonos either updated it to work with a phone or come out and say if it's possible and if so, how!

It's not possible at this time. You Sonos speaker must have an IP assigned, either by Auto IP or a router. Auto IP is only available via a PC with an Ethernet connection, and a router requires a router (via a hot spot or an actual router). Quite simply, Sonos is not a Bluetooth speaker.