Question

Play music from iPhone music app

• 4 October 2016
  • 7 replies

Ok so really fed up with having to use another rubbish app like Sonos to play music. Why can't I just play from either music (apple) or direct from Anazon music app? Cut out the middle man! I want sonos to focus on what they are good at, this is the n0.1 reason why I'm not buying another system.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Sonos are working on making it possible to use music service apps, as recently announced. Do you think that's just a case of flicking a switch?

I like the Sonos app. It means I can switch sources easily. Even combine different sources in a single playlist.

Who cares if you don't buy any more Sonos?
And perhaps you only have one zone and so aren't thinking about multiroom control aspects?
I can see it would be good to be able to select a speaker within the iPhone music app, in the same way as you can select an Airplay output. I'm on an old iPhone with not much memory and would also not rather have to have yet another app.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Ok so really fed up with having to use another rubbish app like Sonos to play music. Why can't I just play from either music (apple) or direct from Anazon music app? Cut out the middle man! I want sonos to focus on what they are good at, this is the n0.1 reason why I'm not buying another system.

You only have ONE music source? Only have ONE speaker? How strange. Are you sure you have purchased the correct speaker for your purposes? Why would anyone want to play about with multiple rubbish third party apps to play their music?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Because they have grown up with them, like children it is hard to let go :D
Technically I believe it is controlling grouping that would be the problem, but who really groups that much all the time, you really just need music in the room you are in.
Financially I cannot believe there is no money in it for sonos when they bring new subscription customers of £10/month forever to apple/google/amazon/deezer etc. Which they would lose if you could cast anything from anywhere to sonos.

Financially I cannot believe there is no money in it for sonos when they bring new subscription customers of £10/month forever to apple/google/amazon/deezer etc. Which they would lose if you could cast anything from anywhere to sonos.

How many times does it have to be explained that Sonos receives NO INCOME from their Music Partners program? Any service anywhere can choose to connect with Sonos and Sonos does not charge for the connection. Here it is in black and white:

http://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=node/21

Attract the most avid music fans in the world.

Music lovers are the heart and soul of Sonos. We’re a company created by music lovers, for music lovers. At Sonos, our vision is to fill every home with music. The Sonos Wireless HiFi System delivers passionate music lovers access to fresh, new music from music and radio services worldwide. Getting connected to Sonos just got easier, with Sonos Labs.

Who can play: Any music service, anywhere in the world.
In a nutshell: It’s easy to integrate using the Sonos Music API – and it’s free!
How it works: Do it all online, in 3 easy steps:

1. Register as a Sonos Music Partner.
2. Access the Sonos Music API, Technical Documentation & Tools Suite.
3. Develop & Submit to Sonos for Review.

Notice the bolded - and it’s free! This means Sonos does not charge a fee to belong to their Music Partners program. Is it clear yet?

In addition, if your conspiracy theory was for real, why would Sonos publicly announce that they are dedicating the majority of their resources to two new technologies which effectively eliminate the use of the Sonos app in favor of third party solutions - Voice Control through Echo, and streaming directly from native apps like Spotify and Pandora, with the expressed wish to include streaming from every native app of every Sonos partner?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Native paid for apps!!
Yeah anyone can apply & get rejected.
We have yet to see what apps will stream to sonos from echo as its not been revealed, eg will bbc iplayer radio play on sonos?
Still I like a good conspiracy theory....the truth is out there somewhere.....:P