Question

Play I stereo pair does not go low enough - Parallel Universes proved?

• 23 November 2017
  • 15 replies

Since this keeps going around, I did a good test today for the 1 pair that sits on my desktop, from the desktop which is about as close as anyone would get to their units. I started the play of a well mastered album that delivers good sound levels - Buddy Guy/Living Proof. I moved the volume slider on the mac controller all the way to the left till the green light came on at the top of the units and started tapping to the right of the button, with each tap seeing a small movement of the slider to the right. It took me 3 taps to hear something, 4 to know it is music, and 5-6 to recognise the music.

I then repeated the same experiment, using the + button on the play units themselves. Essentially, the same result again, using taps and not presses - the latter result in rapid volume level increase. If I had to pick, I would say that the second results were very slightly louder than the first. Only if I had to pick.

So, why do so many complain that just one tap from mute using either route makes their 1 pair go too loud to be borne while going to sleep? And for music that arguably is quieter than Buddy shouting out the blues? I have heard claims that volume rises to 20% of max. By the way, Sonos claims that each tap of the kind I describe is 1 in 100 equal steps where the app is concerned, I don't know the claim for the hard button taps. I haven't counted if it takes 100 to get fully to the right, that isn't the point - I can accept the Sonos claim as correct as far as it matters without that effort.

I usually accept the sneering audiophile dismissal of my hearing as defective, but I am pretty sure that this isn't at play here. I don't need hearing aids and can hold normal conversations with everyone I meet.

So, do all those that have a complaint on this count have defective units? I know mine isn't a special one, because there are a few others like me here. Or are we living in parallel universes?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I guess they could have a speaker with a component out of spec?
Yes, they could; but none have said anything here about having reported the issue to Sonos, and the Sonos response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I'm more inclined to think they're the same and not faulty (all my 1's are the same) and can't see why 5 or 6 'presses' would be needed to even know music was playing.
Go in a very quiet room and try it. As I've said before, I'd never describe a single press as 'loud' per se - but would say it's too loud to have next to me in bed. My wife next to me thinks it's too loud too and could pick out the song. 5 or 6 presses before being able to ascertain the music seems more abnormal (although more low level granularity may be more desirable!) than a single 'too loud' volume.
To clarify: I am content with how my units work in this aspect and would not change a thing about them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I did a quick experiment with my PLAY:1s. I have to say they're quite audible at one click up from zero (tried using the controller and the physical buttons), if one's head is in the vicinity of the speaker. I tested using a spoken word radio station.

If my speakers are representative, I can understand why there's a desire for a lower volume if they're placed on bedside tables.
See a couple of posts from a year ago on the second page of this thread that are in line with my experience: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/lower-minumum-volume-level-6457485/index2.html

One can understand wildly divergent views on sound quality, or how user friendly the app is, but this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
See a couple of posts from a year ago on the second page of this thread that are in line with my experience: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/lower-minumum-volume-level-6457485/index2.html

One can understand wildly divergent views on sound quality, or how user friendly the app is, but this?

The divergence in opinions is odd. I guess we need some actual measurements instead of subjective descriptions.

I tested out of curiosity; I have no requirement for lower volume on my PLAY:1s, but they're not situated right next to my head.
It is odd; and IMO, the divergence is to an extent that does not need instruments for establishing it. I tried again when the room was as silent as it ever gets, at night; no change.
And I don't see anyone finding this as radically different as it has been claimed, to the extent that it bothers them, having sent a diagnostic to Sonos and therefore there is no Sonos response to one.
Also, most that have my experience and do not have a problem with it are not likely to post on the forums as is usually the case. So the count of those on either side of the divide being skewed in favour of those that have a problem is not useful data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Kumar -- just a thought -- what hardware version are your PLAY:1s? Mine are 1.20.1.6-2.
1.8.3.7-1. The difference may be relevant; only Sonos can say for sure.
I wonder if there's a power consideration? Perhaps the transformer isn't as locked down as it might be? Kumar, as I recall, India is on 230V, not 120, right?
Yes, it is. But it would be very strange if the units rated for use between 100 and 240V were to change behaviour in this way. Further strange, for a US designed unit, to behave in a way that is good in a 230V location and a problem in a 110V one. By the way, although I haven't bothered to test, my Connect/Connect Amp behave in much the same way as do my play 1 units.
Oh, I agree, just trying to figure out what else might be different between the two cases.
Parallel universes? :D

Trolling is ruled out because I notice that some that get a different result than I do are proved non trolls.
Userlevel 1
I tried it in in two different configurations, that show different behavior:
- livingroom with playbar, sub and 2x play:1. in this configuration I have set the music level iin surround settings to FULL and put the slider above average. the reason is I want to use the play:1s as surrounds in TV mode, but main speakers in music mode. in this config, lowest volume is pretty loud.
- bathroom with a single play:1. no special settings here, everything default. the lowest volume is definitely lower than in my living room. however, IMHO it should still have some more lower options, for relaxing in the bathtub it is still not low enough.

so my summary would be
1. give us more options in the low volume area, still
2. when altering the advanced settings (and probably EQ), the volume controller should adopt to it and change its scale accordingly