Answered

Play 5 with Play 5 Gen 2

• 27 November 2015
  • 8 replies

Can I use my old play 5 and a new play 5 Gen 2 as a stereo pair ?
icon

Best answer by ratty 18 August 2018, 15:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

No. They have quite different sonic characters. Only two units of the same model can be bonded as a pair.
thank you very much.
Any suggestions on what to do with a play five and two play ones together?
I have one play bar, one play 5 gen 2 and four total play ones (non alexa version)
Interested in suggestions.

thank you,
Jason
You can obviously group them. Either a Play:1 pair plus the Play:5, or all three grouped as separate 'rooms'. In the latter case the Play:1s would each play mono. It depends where you want to place them.
Thanks for your info. Do I understand you correctly that I can run three speakers as a group like my home theater upstairs? If that’s the case I would use the play five as the center and there to play ones as the rear surround us in one room? Please confirm. Thank you
Do I understand you correctly that I can run three speakers as a group like my home theater upstairs? If that’s the case I would use the play five as the center and there to play ones as the rear surround us in one room?
No and no.

A group is a temporary arrangement where a number of 'rooms' are joined together to play in sync. Each room plays the same content.

What you're asking for is a 'bonded' setup, where a number of players are all subsumed into a single 'room' and each plays a different channel or different frequencies. You can not bond using a Play:5 as centre. The only players which support a home theatre bonded setup are Playbar, Playbase and Beam. In those cases the main player outputs L/C/R as 3.0, optionally with the addition of surrounds (+2.0) and/or Sub (+0.1).
You answered my question perfectly. Thank you very much.
Last question

I’m also having difficulty resetting my play five gen 2. I’ve plugged it in and held the button on the back, but it always defaults to the white light and the previous Internet. I’m just trying to change it to a different Internet setting. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated
Connect it to your router with an ethernet cable. Go in to the controller app, and reset the wifi details.