Question

Play 5 Warranty

• 23 June 2019
  • 8 replies

Is there any assurance if I purchase a Play 5 from Sonos it will last more than a year? Has something changed in the design since 2018?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

What do you mean by “assurance”. Sonos has a warranty. Like any electrical equipment, there is a potential for failure. There are thousands of customers who have owned the gen 2 since its original release with no issues, and many, many more who have purchased them since, and continue to enjoy their use.
I am asking if it will last more than a year. It appears it might if I am lucky like the thousands of others. Maybe I will cross my fingers and hope.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
No more than any other product with a shorter warranty - and you deal with it the same way, by researching other people's experience. IN my case, I've had no issues with any device I've had. My oldest device is a ZP100 I bought on the Best Buy open box table 10 years ago. The only one I have had any issues with is a Play:3 that has fallen off a 7 foot high mantle several times, and now rattles a bit inside. My fault, I had it set up vertically the wrong way so the rubber feet were oriented wrong.

Based on my experience, I have no issues with the warranty. That's just anecdotal though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have given a couple Sonos as gifts and the short warranty concerned me for that use. A SquareTrade 4 year warranty was a cheap add-on to solve that worry.

I think Amazon offers one from someone by default when you order there.

I've had good luck with my Sonos, aside from stuff damaged by heat while in possession of Best Buy I've never had a problem. I do plug them into good surge suppressors and don't power them up and down constantly, things that may be a factor in some of the power supply related failures.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
For those in the UK, Richer Sounds offers a free six-year warranty on Sonos products
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Many credit cards also do extended warranty. You might check the terms on your card to see if you can get the warranty doubled. The standard is usually double the warranty up to 1 year additional.
I am asking if it will last more than a year. It appears it might if I am lucky like the thousands of others. Maybe I will cross my fingers and hope.
Has anyone assured any of us a life longer than that?
Seriously though, most electronic items that fail before end of service life, do so in the first weeks of use, so make sure you use yours extensively in those weeks to allow it to fail if it is going to do so prematurely. Thereafter it is more a question of being very unlucky if it was to not last a decade.
The other thing to worry about in some parts of the world is the quality of the mains power it is fed.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Interestingly, Sonos provides a two-year warranty on directly purchased refurbished products in many countries (excludes US and Canada at least), but not for new products.