Question

Play 5 suddenly stopped working

• 23 January 2018
  • 14 replies

I've got a Play 5, which has suddenly stop working and disappeared from my list of devices. I've tried the normal things - unplugging and tried to do a new set up. Play5 has static white light until I try to add to network then it flashes all colours (white-orange(red)-green). I've got a diagnostic ref if any Sonos staff are reading - 8395620. TIA

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

PedroZA,

In your post, you say you tried to do a 'new setup' ... was that following a hardware reset?... if so, did you also try it whilst cabled to your router? Just thought it perhaps could be a problem with the WiFi connection.

Maybe worth trying to set it up cabled to your router, that’s if you have done a full reset of the speaker already.

It’s not clear if the speaker is your one and only Sonos device ... as that too makes a difference as to how you need to set it up.
Hi Ken, thanks so much for responding. I have 4 other rooms working fine, it's just this Play 5 in my office that's causing the problem. I've had the unit for 2-months without any problems until today when it suddenly went off. Regarding a new set up I was trying to add it again as a new device to my system, but that's not working as the app is not seeing the speaker. Wifi not a problem. I haven't tried hard-wiring the Play 5 to my router. Cheers
The flashing different colour lights do not sound very promising, but I would perhaps try to cable it to the router and hardware reset it again and then add it back to your existing system.

I assume you know the hardware reset procedure.

If it still fails, then I guess it’s over to Sonos Support.
thanks Ken, will try that.
I have 4 play 1 speakers and 1 playbar. The playbar was not working today and missing from my app. The app did give me a notification about a software upgrade which I completed. The playbar is still not being recognized as an old device and I am not able to add it as a new device. I have turned on and off several times but still not working yet all other speakers are functioning properly. Any suggestions?
I've hard-wired the Play 5 to my router and done a hard reset. It now works, but only while connected to the router. As soon as I remove the LAN cable the Play 5 disappears from my system. It seems there's a problem with the speaker's wifi.
It does indeed sound like the wifi card maybe broken ... leave it cabled, then submit another diagnostic and call Sonos to check it ... that's the next step.
Hi Ken, got a new diagnostic number so will make contact with Sonos. Thanks for helping. Cheers
Badge +1
I have sonos play 5: gen2
For me the same problemoes not want to include at all no indicators absolutely nothing works out what the reason could beI tried absolutely all the instructions that were given in sonos.
The first absolutely everything but no life in it has absolutely no one
Now what's next How can my problem be fixed? Thanks
There should be a solution to the problem
So it suddenly stops working
Since my sonos is no longer guaranty what we are doing
Please, I'd like you to help me
kibiraa,

It might be best if you were to post a diagnostic from your system, and post the number here.
Badge +1
sonos play 5 White. model S100 1704 94-9F-50-90-76-D
Badge +1
There's no way the right diagnosis slet as it does not work
Badge +1
There's no way the right diagnosis since it does not work
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi kibiraa, if you've plugged that PLAY:5 into the power and there's no lights, try using a different cable and see if that changes things. If it doesn't, likely it's a problem with the player and I'd suggest that you give us a call on our support line. They'll help determine a fault if there is one and assist with options for replacement.