Play 5 stops playing from Line-in

• 1 January 2015
  • 21 replies

My Sonos Play 5 is connected to my TV with the AUX-cable. It autostarts playing when im turning on my TV - which is great! The problem is that when the TV is turned on, Sonos suddenly will automatically stop playing the sound from the TV, so i have to take my iPhone and start "playing" again. How can this be fixed? It is VERY annoying!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Stefan,
Normally your PLAY:5 should continue to play audio from your TV until the TV is turned off. To see why the audio is stopping, we'd like to view some data from your system. Please reply here with a diagnostic number and we'll investigate further: Submit diagnostics.
Hi Stefan,
Normally your PLAY:5 should continue to play audio from your TV until the TV is turned off. To see why the audio is stopping, we'd like to view some data from your system. Please reply here with a diagnostic number and we'll investigate further: Submit diagnostics.

I just did, and my ref number is; 4278134
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Stefan,

Hi Stefan,
The PLAY:5 is turning the line in off because it is detecting silence from the cable. This usually happens when the source, in this case the TV, is muted or too quiet. At what volume are you keeping the TV? You should be able to keep it high, preventing the PLAY:5 from stopping playback. You can use the volume of the PLAY:5 to control loudness.
Let us know what you find.
Hi Stefan,

I experience this issue as well.
While watching a show, in times of prolonged silence, Sonos would stop playing from line-in. This seems to be a problem with the design of this feature.

Can the auto-stop behavior somehow be disabled?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Stefan,

Hi Yotam,

Can you send us a diagnostic report after this happens then reply with the confirmation number? We would like to take a look at your system's data to see exactly what is happening when the audio turns off. Here's how to submit diagnostics: How to send diagnostic reports.
Hi Stefan,

The same happens to me and my Play:5. When there's silence in movies (or shows) the system shuts down.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Stefan,

Hi Janne,

It sounds like you are using the line input on your PLAY:5 to listen to audio from your TV. Have you set the PLAY:5 to automatically play the line in? If so the auto play feature may be pausing playback after a certain amount of silence. You can change this by adjusting the line in level. Please see this guide for more information: Line in level adjustment.
Hi Stefan,

Yes. Pausing it is and I've tried all levels, from low to high, but the problem continues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Stefan,

Hi Janne,

Please send us a diagnostic report from your system. Reply with the confirmation number and we'll take a look. Here's how to send diagnsotic reports: How to submit diagnostic reports.
Hi Stefan,

Hi, and the number is: 4592083.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Stefan,

Hi Janne,

There is a high level of wireless interference near your PLAY:5. This may be related to the audio stopping. Please look around your PLAY:5 for any potential source of wireless interference. Common sources include baby monitors, wireless security cameras, cordless phones (particularly DECT phones), and wireless printers. If any such device is nearby the PLAY:5 or in between the PLAY:5 and your BRIDGE, please move it further away or temporarily power it off and test your PLAY:5. Please let us know if this does not help resolve the issue.
Hi Stefan,

I will check it when I get home this weekend. Until then, thanx!
Hi Stefan,

Well that fixed it (?). I pulled the plug on my old dect phone and it looks like the Sonos feel better. It plays, without silence. Let's hope that was it and continues to work.  Thanx! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Stefan,

Hi Janne,

That is great to hear. You can probably move the DECT phone and its base 10-15 feet away from your Sonos units, and not in between any 2 units to prevent interference. Please let us know if you have any further issues.
Hi Stefan,

Hi again. It's better (I think), but it still happens occasionally. When there's silence in movies, it shuts down. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Stefan,

Hi Janne,

We've created a support ticket for you: 150602-001148. If the issue continues we would like to work with you on the phone to help figure it out. If so, please give us a call. You can find our phone number and hours here: Contact us.
Hi I'm having a similar issue, the play 5 is connected to my tv via line in but it seems to pause cutting the audio, I have sent a diagnostic 6927018... help!?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi I'm having a similar issue, the play 5 is connected to my tv via line in but it seems to pause cutting the audio, I have sent a diagnostic 6927018... help!?
Hi, would it be possible to do the same test with a different device wired to the LINE-IN? (with a mobile or tablet)
I could, but the audio drop out is too sporadic, some times it takes an hour to happen some times it will go twice in 20 mins.
Fixed it, the volume on the tv has to be up high and the speaker down low
My issue is when I use the play 5 and the line in, some of the speakers go in and out. Drives me nuts. I have 6 speakers in this room. Randomly one goes out, then comes back on. Very frustrating. (4 play1s 1 play3 and the play5)