Play 5 Stereo Pair Line In Questions

Userlevel 1
1) Does a stereo pair allow for 2 selectable line in sources? Ex. Left = a turntable preamp and Right = Airport Express.

2) If setup as a rear surrounds, do you need to remove them from the Playbar and setup again to use the line in feature? Ideally, I'd like to use these as rear surrounds with a Playbar for 75% of the time and then as a stereo pair with a turntable for the remainder. But I believe that when paired as surrounds this removes the line in option(s) even when set to "full".

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

The answer to your first question is definitely 'Yes' you can have two line-ins, even if they are set as a stereo pair... See screenshot. (Right & Left Lounge Play-5 speakers set as a stereo pair).

I don't have a Sonos PlayBar, so I cannot help with the second question (sorry).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The line-in on the PLAY:5 is disabled when it's paired as a surround speaker with the PLAYBAR, same as the CONNECT:AMP when you're using it as rear speakers. You can remove the pair from being bonded with the PLAYBAR and the line-in will be available again, and then you could re-bond it. This isn't a great experience as the setup process with the PLAYBAR does take a minute or two.

We've gotten the request to have the line-in enabled when used as a surround speaker, but it's currently off for technical reasons. I'll add your voice to the request for you, but we don't have any plans currently to change this behavior.
Arguably, Play:5s are a bit OTT for rear surrounds. I am very pleased with the performance of my Play:1s in this role - they seem more than adequate. If / when funds allow, why not simplify your life and get a pair of Play:1s to act as surround speakers, and keep the P:5s dedicated to music and the line in?
If / when funds allow, why not simplify your life and get a pair of Play:1s to act as surround speakers, and keep the P:5s dedicated to music and the line in?
Another option for a little more outlay than a new 1 pair is to add a Sub for movies, moving the 5 pair to the front, dedicated to music. Depending on the kind of movies you see, this may do more for movie watching than adding a 1 pair for surround sound.
Badge
Ryan S
I have mentioned before but had no response. It has been said that there is technical issues with enabling line inputs on play 5s when in surround 5.1 mode. But the only way as you say is to unbound rear play 5s. My question is can Sonos make a toggle 5.1 mode as present and toggle to stereo pair and playbar and sub enabling line inputs . This to me is a compromise . Unbonding and rebonding is not an ideal or even a logical solution to gain access to a port.

Does any body else see this as a solution if Sonos can implement ??
Badge
Toggle or group
Lounge playbar and sub one group
and
another group play 5 stereo pair
but when both grouped ==== 5.1 surround is enabled ( with all the surround settings to get this working )
Userlevel 1
I already have a pair of Play 1s as well as Play 5s (gen 1), a sub, connect, multiple connect amps. The issue is that I want to be able to use this room for both turntable playback and 5.1. There isn't line in on the Play 1s so I was thinking of getting another pair of Play 5s (2nd gen) for this reason. The other option would be to use a connect amp. Currently this is what I'm using, but it is connected to ceiling speakers and I am moving to a house that won't have built in speakers, so would need a pair of bookshelf speakers. Of the speakers I am considering, they are in the price range of a pair of Play 5s. Plus this would involve some work running speaker wire. Anyway, thanks for the responses. And yes, a toggle for 5.1/stereo pair and or the option to use line in would be appreciated.
The line-in on the PLAY:5 is disabled when it's paired as a surround speaker with the PLAYBAR, same as the CONNECT:AMP when you're using it as rear speakers. You can remove the pair from being bonded with the PLAYBAR and the line-in will be available again, and then you could re-bond it. This isn't a great experience as the setup process with the PLAYBAR does take a minute or two.

We've gotten the request to have the line-in enabled when used as a surround speaker, but it's currently off for technical reasons. I'll add your voice to the request for you, but we don't have any plans currently to change this behavior.

Please add my voice too. This is very disappointing to not have as functionality because I don't want to have to purchase a CONNECT just to use my turntable with my sonos system which is also associated with my TV.
Hi, add my voice too as it is very restricting now having my new play 5 gen 2 now not being able to use the echo dot with voice commands... not partical to disconnect a play 5 just for line in. Hear there is a update for the dot with sonos soon, so hopefully that addresses the issue but it doesn't someone needs to be look making the decisions on the surround sound set up because the ball is being dropped.
Add my voice!

This is a real bummer of a limitation. I did not realize it existed when I bought my two play 5's to connect to a turntable and amazon dot while providing rear surround to my playbar...

I will be returning the two play5's...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When used as surrounds there is some precise timing as far as how the play:5 communicates with the playbar. I think Play:5's are overkill for surrounds anyhow - play:3's at most.

As far as Echo dot - integration is coming the 1st part of next year where no wire is required and they will communicate via wifi.
Thought they would be too Chris but after setting up right with my sound spillter (all devices go throught this to the tv) and it way better that the play 3s, more quailty and the surround really pops, way more rounded. Would not swap back if i got offered double the price different i paid. Good to hear about the dot update

Letting my voice be heard as well. I absoluty love my sonos. I have the 5.1 surround setup, with play:1s and speakers thought the house. I've brining the play:5 from my bedroom downstairs to hookup to my record player whenever I listen to records. Inconvenient yes, but when we have people over or when I working from home aweosme. I saved up greatly and got the great idea to replace my rears surrounds with play:5s to do double duty on surround and be within range of turntable so records can always be available without moving upstairs speaker or buying a separate connect:amp for just the line in feature. Don't get me wrong as surrounds they are second to none for a movie watching experience but PLEASE! create a solution for allowing the line in accessibility when paired as rears so we don't have to unpair and retune each time we want to play a record. Love what y'all are doing sonos ??
Double posting is not really appreciated. Please see my reply to your own thread.
Double posting is not really appreciated. Please see my reply to your own thread. hey sorry about that. I've never really done this before and thought it may not be seen here in someone elses feed. But noted.
This is ridiculous. I just purchased a second play 5 so I could use them as surround, not knowing that I could no longer use the line-in for my turn table. I have a really hard time believing that using line-in AND surround is such a difficult and complex capability to offer. Is this how you incentivize people for buying more of your speakers... you take away their capabilities? It's things like this, and the overall lack of thoroughness in their product designs, that make me believe Sonos will not be around for the long haul and will likely be obsolete in a decade or so. Now I just regret the large investment I made to go this route instead of traditional speakers.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Add my voice too please and if there is to be beta testing I’d be interested.
Me to, please let me use the Line in when using surround
I couldn't believe today, when I plugged line in to play 5 to see that I can only dream about having line in enabled in 5.1 config. joke! i regret more and more getting into sonos system!
I have not used it, but I think the iOS app sonosequencr allows you to do that.
I couldn't believe today, when I plugged line in to play 5 to see that I can only dream about having line in enabled in 5.1 config. joke! i regret more and more getting into sonos system!Not sure why the surprise. Sonos has a number of products designed for TV audio and the Play:5 isn't one of them.
I cant believe I spent 5 hours trying to figure out where the "line-in" was on my Sonos app. I even went through the process of starting from scratch with a new Sonos account to try to see why I wasn't seeing the line in on my app. This along with tirelessly scouring the internet attempting to find out what I was doing wrong only to find the answer was as simple as when using the Play5's as surround speakers you lose the line-in capabilities.
It would seem easy enough to have a bulletin of some sort explaining the fact this happens when using the expensive Play5's as surround speakers. It seems ludicrous that I would have a thousand dollars of speakers sitting in my entertainment room unavailable to me when watching a movie because I purchased a new turntable because Sonos told me they would be able tot connect through the Play5's. Shouldn't there be a warning with your advertising for the turntable about the fact you can use the Play5's' as either music speakers or surround speakers but NOT both.
And those suggesting the Play5's are overkill as surrounds - that's just your opinion and you have no idea how large of a media room or set up I have. I've been using my Play 5's as surround speakers since I leaped into the Sonos concept and to think I should just replace them with Play 1's and use the 5's only for spinning an occasional album seems ludicrous.
I've been keeping my eye on adding the turntable to my system almost from the start and not once have I seen anything warning me of the problems with using the Play 5's as surrounds. It sure seems unfair to treat good customers using their hard earned dollars to buy your product when you don't provide this type of information up front.
I haven''t a clue what my options are going forward as I never planned on this being an issue. But here I sit with a new turntable ready to go but haven't been able to listen to any vinyl through my Sonos system as of yet. All this while picturing the simple advertising showing the turntable sitting with the Play 5's. Sure looked easier then it is! And to think this is an issue that going forward they have no plans on addressing is mind boggling.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Searched the Sonos FAQ for "Play 5 line in" and got this as the first suggestion: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1080?language=en_US

Please note that Line-In is disabled on the Play:5 (gen2) and Connect:Amp when they are used as surround speakers with the Playbar, Playbase, or Beam.

Third response in DuckDuckGo to "sonos paly 5 lin in surround: was:
https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/how-to-use-play-5-for-both-line-in-and-beam-surround-sound-6816443

If you want line in you can get another Play 5 or a Connect.