Question

Play 5 size - question

Hi

I just got a second play 5 today and was going to pair them for my living room. I noticed there is a slight difference in size. I couldn't find anything on the internet, when did it reduce in size and which is the most recent?

Thanks, Gary

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Badge +20
Wow!
Someone else commented on this forum that the grill was different on their Play 5's but a change in size?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Stino100, that's an odd one. To the best of my knowledge the size of the PLAY:5 gen2 hasn't changed at all.

Do you think you could send me in a private message the serial number of both units?
Hi Stino100, that's an odd one. To the best of my knowledge the size of the PLAY:5 gen2 hasn't changed at all.

Do you think you could send me in a private message the serial number of both units?

Hi
I have sent you a private message.
Thanks!
Fascinating. Could be anything from an early demo model/prototype (which somehow made it into retail) to a fake job. :S
Hi
A few more images. Checking the size of the front of the speaker, they are both actually the same size, however the curve of the front is different in them both. Hopefully the images show this!
Would you put the smaller one on top of the larger, and then shoot them from the top, please? I'm absolutely fascinated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Would you put the smaller one on top of the larger, and then shoot them from the top, please? I'm absolutely fascinated.

That'd be great. I have a few people looking into this on our end, but from everything I've heard, there hasn't been a change in the size of the cabinet since the main production line started up.

Do you know where you got them both?
Hee! The plot thickens 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
This was disturbing enough for me to measure my own 2nd gen Play 5 to check for consistency with the advertised dimensions.

If true this is actually quite worrying. If not somebody is good at photoshop and making mischief :o)
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Looks an optical illusion to me.
Could be. Would be interesting to see additional pictures. Top down on top of each other. Front to front, back to back. Or precise measurements. But the first picture is the one that makes me concerned. I'd agree all of the other ones could be optical illusions, due to the odd shape of the speaker, and the odd shape of my eyes 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sorry to ruin the fun, but I've created an email incident and am getting Stino100 in touch with the right team to investigate further. We might just be left in wonder here on the Community 🙂
Dammit! :)

I was hoping we'd find out about some sort of Mafia plot to sell Sonos rip-off speakers.