Answered

Play 5 not showing up

• 8 August 2018
  • 7 replies

My play5 has been acting odd, disappearing from my list of speakers, not wanting to pair with other speakers, while still playing. Problem goes away when I unplug and reply in, but now it’s happening almost daily. I’ve submitted diagnostics and can provide the conf. number.
icon

Best answer by jgatie 8 August 2018, 19:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Sounds like it's got a duplicate IP address. This happens when the router loses track of IP assignments. Rebooting can temporarily solve it, until another IP lease expires and the router gives out another duplicate. You need to refresh everything.

Do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Thank you. I will try tonight. Do you want my diagnostic number?
jgatie isn’t a Sonos employee, so he wouldn’t have access to the diagnostic anyway, although I expect he smiled when he read the question...

But if his suggestion doesn’t work for some obscure reason, then run and post that diagnostic.

I’m of the opinion that you won’t need to, I agree with his assessment, and would certainly expect his advice to resolve the issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
On the diagnostic, Sonos seems to ignore them unless someone provides the number to a Sonos tech, then they dig into them and can see a lot of issues that we users can't.
Ok, so far so good, the resting everything has worked. I found that it would be easier to assign an IP address if it happens again. Thanks you -
Have had sonos for a couple of years now. Suddenly having all songs only get 2/3 through. Was going to upgrade various rooms to surround sound. Not now. Scrap the system. It won't plat your songs all the way through. Abandon now before you spend more
Or, follow jgatie's suggestion, as the OP did, and find yourself with a great music system.