Question

Play 5 - no light, not detected

• 29 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I have a Play 5 (bought 2012 and so out of warranty), and today the light went out and it can no longer be detected in my network.

I tried a reset (power off, hold mute, power on) but nothing happened.

I then checked the power supply by connecting the lead to another Sonos speaker, and the power supply works perfectly - and so no issue there.

All my other Songs speakers are detected ok.

Am worried my speaker unit is knackered...can anyone help?

Thanks,
Paul

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

If there is no power etc. It sounds like it maybe a hardware fault. I appreciate you have tried the speaker cable on another of your devices, but have you tried a different power outlet? If all else fails, this is the factory reset procedure, that's if you have exhausted all your other options...

PLAY:1, PLAY:3, PLAY:5 (gen1), CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP and PLAYBAR:

Unplug the power cord from the electrical wall outlet.
Press and hold the Play/Pause button while simultaneously plugging the power cord back into the electrical wall outlet.
Continue holding the Play/Pause button until the light begins flashing amber and white.
Once reset, the light will flash green indicating the product has been reset and can be added back to your Sonos household.
Thanks for the response Ken - I have tried your suggestion, but still nothing happens. It is looking likely this is a hardware problem. But I am open to any other bright ideas? Thanks.
My play 5 second gen has done exactly the same, just disappeared from the app and I have tried everything and it still won’t work . Please help here too
Now just stuck on this colour
And if it helps to diagnose, I have spotted, there is a burnt smell inside the unit. More noticeable at the front than the back.
Paul,

I guess the smell is confirming our suspicions. It’s time to call the U.K. support line and see what they can do to help. I understand the phone number you will need is tel:0800-026-1526. They are open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Or you can contact them here https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/ask

Hope that helps a little.
Edgerlina,

This link here explains the orange LED light status etc:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/227

There are a number of possibilities. It depends whether or not you may have hard-reset your speaker...Come back to me if you need any further information.