Play:5 losing bass - it is a known problem

• 20 November 2013
  • 6 replies

turning up then down brings it back. Unit is about 2 years old.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Mine too!
One out of three units I bought 2,5 years ago.
The bass went away while I was listening this evening....
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi John, Hi Bjoern, 

could you both please reply with the serial numbers of the units in question so we can have a closer look ? 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

Serial number is **-**-**-**-**-**:*.

Moderator Note: Serial Number removed for privacy.

Hi!, I have the same problem with my Play:5 gen 1.

Moderator Note: Removed Serial Number for privacy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi @nanopete, for this sort of issue it'd be best if you can contact our support team directly. Daniel's post above is from 5+ years ago, the current process to get this sorted out quickest is to work with a technician directly.

I’ve had some success by adjusting the equalizer levels at the source: increasing the bass in the analog signal sent from my phone to the Play:5 (gen 1) unit by 3.5mm cable. 

It seems that the bass cuts out when the lower frequencies are below a threshold. It then stays off until there is a significant increase in bass activity on the signal.

It also seems to cut out when the bass in the signal has little variation, like the same few notes or sound. But its behaviour is not consistent when I play the same bit repeatedly.

Playing with the volume setting on the unit also works, as indicated by @Björn Olsson, but it returns to its previous behaviour quickly after.