Question

Play 5 has rattle inside

• 20 February 2013
  • 19 replies

I just purchased a Play 5 last week. I am completly impressed and am looking forward to buying more components! I seem to have a rattle sound when songs or voices with more bass are playing. It is quite noticable and I am certain there is a fix for this. So, what would the fix be??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hi Erik, I apologize, but it does sound like you may have a faulty PLAY:5. Please call our support team when you are next available so we can arrange a replacement and send you a new PLAY:5. There should be no rattle at all coming from the player. http://www.sonos.com/contact
Badge +1
I had the same rattle on my play 5, but only with deep bass playing at high volume. I figured the sub woofer was faulty and returned it to the store for exchange. The replacement has the same rattle. It's not on every song, just songs with more bass. Either have to turn down the bass on the equilizer or the volume. I think it's just the nature of the product, keeping in mind the size of the speaker.
Badge +3
I have a 2 month old play 5 and that's developed a rattle when playing deep bass, replacement on it way though. Sonos support is fantastic I just hope the replacement is ok !
I have a 2 month old play 5 and that's developed a rattle when playing deep bass, replacement on it way though. Sonos support is fantastic I just hope the replacement is ok !

Is that the new play:5 or the old one?
Badge +3
It's a GEN 1
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
It's a GEN 1Note that the 1st generation Play:5 has a bass reflex port on the back. It looks like a nice post box to a toddler...

The new Play 5, however, has a sealed cabinet. I can't think of a situation where I would consider a rattling sound as being in the nature of the product (unless the walls or ornaments were rattling, or it was playing the sound of a, well, a rattle...
Badge +3
Just received my replacement play 5 and the replacement still rattles exactly the same as my original, sonos tech have asked me to send 2 diagnostic reports one from the original position and one positioned in a different room. Am I missing something a rattle is a rattle and its coming from inside the speaker ? I'd love to take it apart to see what whats rattling !
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just received my replacement play 5 and the replacement still rattles exactly the same as my original, sonos tech have asked me to send 2 diagnostic reports one from the original position and one positioned in a different room. Am I missing something a rattle is a rattle and its coming from inside the speaker ? I'd love to take it apart to see what whats rattling !

Do it!

No wait, don't do it. Not unless you rich!
JC: Can you post the title of the song that is rattling your unit, and the settings that are causing it to do so? Volume level, bass, treble, etc. I want to see if I can get mine to rattle, too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Please don't open it up. That will void the warranty and a replacement won't be possible. The settings you're using with the song would be great, as BCM suggested. Also, what service are you pulling the tracks from? Does this occur on a lot of music, or certain songs?
Badge +3
I know it will, it's more with songs with deep long bass ie limit to you love by James Blake and la la la by naughty boy. So if anyone wants to try and play at 1/2 volume please do and feed back your results ! It really sounds loke theres something loose inside but 2 the same ???
Badge +3
Volume 1/2 Loudness on, treble one under 1/2 and bass 2 over halfway Tried through Spotify and deezer ! Both same
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
I have had 3 first generation Play:5s since they were first launched, and have never experienced a rattle of any sort. That James Blake song is one I have played often (it's my favourite test track for the unrelated "intermittent no bass" problem which has a long-standing thread on this forum).

Have you tried it in a different location? I don't mean to be funny, but it wouldn't be the first time a buzz or rattle was found to be coming from what the speaker is standing on, and not from the speaker itself.
Badge +3
Yes but even when you lift it off any surface you can still hear it, it's definitely inside the unit and I've no babies that can put little things inside the port 🙂 shame I can't post the video I sent to sonos tech !
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
@JC74 It was worth checking, but that's me out of ideas I'm afraid, unless it's your ears buzzing 😃 It's little comfort, I'm sure, but Sonos have sold millions of 1st generation Play:5's so I'm sure we would have heard about it on the forum before now if it was a common problem.

Best to continue to pursue it through Sonos support, I'd say.
Badge +3
I'm awaiting rma as we type, can't fault Sonos support though they've been brill ! I'll let ya how my 3rd player is
Badge
I have 3 Sonos 3s, which are just over a month old. One developed a rattle at very low frequencies. I wall mounted it, changed rooms, tried another in the space where the first one rattled, and narrowed it down to the one Sonos 3, regardless of how or where positioned. I will contact Sonos as it seems this should not happen. Other than that, I am thrilled with the system.
🆒
Userlevel 1
I just recently developed rattle and crackling after the last update, but it does not happen while it is playing. When I turn off my Direct TV box, all the speakers in the living room set-up (soundbar, 2 play 5, and sub) rattle for about a minute or so. I unplug the optical to get it to stop. I also have a Sound Bar with Play 1's in the bedroom but have not tested it there. I am thinking the last update might have done something, but it could just be a coincidence.

Does your rattle have crackling too?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi David, can you test out grouping the sound bar in the other room with the living room setup so they're both playing the DirectTV box? Then turn it off and let us know if you're hearing that sound in the grouped room.

It sounds like an issue with the signal from the DirectTV not going off right away. Does it have this same sound if you unplug the power from the DirecTV too instead of just using the remote to turn it off?