Play 5 Hardware Issue

• 16 December 2017
  • 15 replies

Play 5 failure

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Sonos has resolved my issue and has completely restored my faith in this great sound company...THANKS Sonos management
So, when it is wired, and showing up in the controller app, go ahead and submit a system diagnostic and call in to Sonos to discuss it, or post the resulting diagnostic number here. That will give them the opportunity to confirm whether there's a hardware issue or not, and start the process. If you think it really is a hardware issue, I'd definitely call in with that diagnostic rather than posting the number here, in order to speed the process as much as possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
How old is the speaker?

Firmware updates require reboots, which can expose hardware issues. The problem is not necessarily related to the update.
Its around 3 years old.....But as stated I was living n a barge until August this year without Wifi so the Sonos system was used much at all.
I watched the firmware update when it happened and there was definitely a red flashing light on the play 5 after it up loaded.
I would have thought that a company like Sonos would not charge such a ridiculous amount to replace it. Or at least offer to fix the play 5 at cost.
Im not happy with the way that this has been treated and will NEVER buy another Sonos product. When you consider the original purchase price you expect a lot more reliability. Its like buying Porsche over a BMW.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
At three years, that's a pretty new speaker -- even if it has lived most of its life in a cupboard in a barge. I'd email Sonos's customer care director, and the CEO (Patrick Spence), and ask for a better deal. Email addresses at: https://www.sonos.com/en/contact/contact-options%23

FWIW, it's unlikely the firmware update caused the fault, but it's hard to be conclusive. I wouldn't state this as being the definitive cause. It failed prematurely for whatever reason, and that should be recognised in Sonos's offer.
thanks
Dear Inez, thank you for your response to my issue. I guess you need to understand my thoughts.

The offer on the table is for me to pay 409 euros or £ 360 pounds. I paid (I think) £499 for the play5 around 3 years ago.
So you think that this speaker is worth £ 859????
And to make things worse it’s not even for the gen 1 this offer is to replace then gen 2.

We must think differently cos this isn’t remotely close to a good deal. I reiterate what I said before “this speaker
worked fine up until the firmware update”. Why doesn’t sonos offer to take my speaker and analyse it to try and
understand why this speaker is now worthless.

Do you think that your products should last longer than 3 years? I certainly did and that is why I paid so much for it new.

Sincerely,
Kevin Bond

Response Via Email (Inez Melges) 12/16/2017 08:01 AM
Dear Kevin,

Thank you very much for your reply and again for patience.
I need to admit that it is not a small amount to pay but as you asked during our call - it is the price for having the faulty unit upgraded to PLAY:5 gen2.

As you are so unhappy about the solution I will reach out for you again to our Sales Operation Team and also ask my supervisors what could be done in such situation.

I will write back to you once we have more information.

Please, take note of the reference number, which is 171119-000828. If you want to make any comments or have any further questions please do not hesitate and just reply to this email.

I hope this helps, but please if you require assistance or have any other questions do not hesitate to contact us back.
Need more help? Join us on sonos.com/community. We're also available on Twitter via @SonosSupport. For more options visit http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/support

Thank you.
Kind regards,

Inez
Sonos Technical Support
What did they do to resolve your issue? I have similar problem, PLAY 5 dead after 3 years of use. Tech support in U could NOT have been better - excellent service. But their offer to me was same as yours, € 409 for a new Play 5 which sells for € 579 where I live (in Belgium) BUT I can buy it online for € 499! My Play 5 was first gen, which is no longer available nor repairable, and I understand that. But for such a product to fail after only 3 years is just not acceptable. I want to repeat, tech support in USA was EXCELLENT, the guy could not have done more. The deal he offered me was what he had to offer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What did they do to resolve your issue? I have similar problem, PLAY 5 dead after 3 years of use. Tech support in U could NOT have been better - excellent service. But their offer to me was same as yours, € 409 for a new Play 5 which sells for € 579 where I live (in Belgium) BUT I can buy it online for € 499! My Play 5 was first gen, which is no longer available nor repairable, and I understand that. But for such a product to fail after only 3 years is just not acceptable. I want to repeat, tech support in USA was EXCELLENT, the guy could not have done more. The deal he offered me was what he had to offer.

Unless you can demonstrate that the unit has a manufacturing or design fault then I think you have little option but to either accept or reject the offer from Sonos. I think it's highly unlikely you will be able to show a design issue especially as there isn't a massive load of people with this issue. As to proving a manufacturing fault you'd obviously have to open the unit which would immediately nullify the offer you have and if you don't have the requisite skills then you'd have to pay somebody to do the report for you.

Personally I'd scream at the sky for a few seconds and then take Sonos up on their offer which from their point of view isn't required.
I emailed CEO (Patrick Spence) and explained the situation. I would suggest doing the same. He did not personally reply but was handled by a UK manager.

Good luck

thing is, there is no better product for sound.....its the best.
I emailed CEO (Patrick Spence) and explained the situation. I would suggest doing the same. He did not personally reply but was handled by a UK manager.

Good luck

thing is, there is no better product for sound.....its the best.
Thanks for input. Care to share his email? I understand if you don’t, don’t want to abuse a kindness from Sonos.

I’m going to try a similar tactic.

I just love my Sonos products and even have Alexa controlling them.
My play 5 will not connect wirelessly any more. it is connect wired and it works. here is my diagnostic number 1394864324.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey Scott Nelson. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Seems the Office Play:5 is working internally with no problems. What happens when you remove the Ethernet cable? Can you tell us a little more about your local network? What is the make and model of the router you are using? Do you have any wireless extenders or access points?

The more information we have, the better we can assist. Thanks!
Hi Keith, When I remove the ethernet cable the play 5 is no longer recognized and disappears from my room list. I have a modem router combination from comcast in the basement with wireless turned off and I am using a TP-Link AC1750 as a wireless access point in my kitchen on the main floor of my house. After I did the most recent software update the wireless Play 5 is not recognized on the network, only when it is hard wired does it work