Answered

Play 5 Generation 1 - what do I do with them?

• 28 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Contributor II
  • 9 replies

I have 5 x Play 2 (Generation 1).

The S1 now longer allows connection to my Synology NAS.

What do I do with them? Or is there a way round the problem?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 June 2021, 16:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Just fix the problem (by enabling SMBv1 on your Synology, many posts on how to), no need to retire perfectly good hardware. And anyway S2 has the same issue.

If you don’t want to do that, just mail your old Play:5s to me :-)

Userlevel 7

Consider upgrading to Sonos Fives. You can get 30% off with the Sonos Upgrade Program:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/upgrade

The Fives sound incredible. You won’t regret upgrading.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for the input. Will look at my NAS now.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

S2 works fine - its the older Play 5’s with S1 - they won’t link to my Synology library. Even SonoPhone app won’t connect.

That seems unusual. Both S1 and S2 use the same method of connecting to your NAS. It suggests there’s something different in your configuration of the files locations in the Sonos software. Perhaps removing it, and setting it up again might reset the connection? Conversely, submitting a diagnostic from both S1 and S2 and contacting Sonos support directly might give more concrete clarity as to what is going on. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Manage to fix it. I have been away and not been able to return for 11 months due to COVID. All was working fine on my departure, but my family have never kept abreast of the Sonos App updates.

The Gen 1 Play 5’s are now removed from the S2 and will link to my Synology NAS via the s1 app.