Answered

Play 5 Gen 2 paired with one rear channel Play 5 gen 3

• 1 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have a wonderful pair of Play 5 gen 2’s with the Sub…...I would like to add “one” Play 5 for a rear chanel ambient effect,but obviously,it would have to be the Gen 3….

Is this doable? 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 March 2021, 02:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Kind of. While the Sonos Five (the Gen 3 of that platform) can be grouped with any Sonos speakers running S2, it can  not be ‘paired’ with an older generation PLAY:5.  Nor can it be added to an already full 5.1 home theater setup, which is already maxed out on speakers.

If you’re just playing music, you’d just set up the Five as a separate room, and group the two rooms together. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thanks for showing interest in my question…..So,if I understand you correctly,I can essentially have my gen 2’s playing the exact music,at the same time(it’s only a music set up I am interested in) as the single/rear gen 3 Play 5.

This single unit would be mounted high up,in a room just outside of my listening room and facing towards the listening position…..I figure about 12 feet from the listeners head,with the stereo pair of gen 2’s about 9 feet in front of the listener,mounted in vertical array….I have a sub as well,perfectly blended into the current set up.

Don’t get me wrong,as the current sound is superb,but I have a hunch that a rear Play 5,mounted horizontally would be a nice improvement in overall ambience and immersive impact…..I “think”….Ha.

Userlevel 7

Yes, you can play the same music through all of the speakers. Grouping a Five with a pair of Play:5s and a Sub would create a more immersive music listening experience.