Play 5 Gen 1 defective after 2 years

• 19 September 2017
  • 2 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies
Just wondering if other people has the same issue as me out there. This will result in a replacement (RMA as Sonos calls it), at my charge (over $300) as the warranty is out.

I own 2 play 5 purchased at a different time. The oldest (2 years old) stopped working without any reasons. Once plugged in, no light, no boot, nothing. The solid light came one day, stayed on for a couple of hours and disappeared. The blinking white light came on 2 days later, blinked for a couple of hours and disappeared. Since then, the device hasn't been responding, and is impossible to factory reset after Customer Service asked me to. Sonos said they will exchange it but I will be charged $300 for it. Is this real? If I do it, Sonos play 5 Gen 1 would have cost me over $850 and I am not even sure it will work in 2 years.

Anybody had the same experience? I am not sure I will exchange it and just recycle the defective product as I am at a loss anyway. Good that I haven't added the other components as I was supposed to to make the system more complete. So just curious to find out if it happened to others.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

so after a quick search in the forum, this has actually happened and I have exactly in the same situation!

[b]''Seriously disappointed (Play 5 fault outside of warranty)[/b]
1 year ago Wireless speakers 10 replies 760 Views
User361834
User361834 Novice 1 reply
I've seen some other posts here about the Play 5 no longer turning on and I'm in the same situation now. The light doesn't turn on and the unit won't respond, even when attempting a factory reset. It seems like a common fault, judging by a quick Google search. So I checked the paperwork and found that I bought it 2 years and 6 months ago (almost to the day) which means the warranty expired 6 months ago. In that time, I've bought two Play 1s and I've been considering a Playbar but after speaking to Sonos Support, I'm seriously considering selling them all and buying a different system!

So I rang support and was told in no uncertain terms that I'd have to pay for a replacement, even though this seemed like a common fault according to this forum and others. £99 for a replacement! Some of the other posts have mentioned that their units were faulty outside the warranty but they had replacements sent for free! Anybody know why others have been looked after in this way but I have to fork out?''
My my play 5 is just over 2 years old. Today it made a loud pop and now there is only muffled sounding audio. I just sent in a ticket before finding this thread. Not looking forward to the response.

Sadly the beta stats page shows I've used it for less than 150 hours total.