Answered

Play 5 for surround sound?

• 19 December 2017
  • 3 replies

I have a play 5 already and wondered, if i purchased two Sonos Ones, could i use that set up for surround sound? I am new to all this pairing and grouping and dont know how the surround sound set up works. Also, how easy is it to move the sonos ones around i.e. sometimes they'd be used as surround sound and sometimes theyd be grouped or set up in different rooms each playing individual music. I'm after flexibility really without having to pay a fortune! Thanks for any help.
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 19 December 2017, 09:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a play 5 already and wondered, if i purchased two Sonos Ones, could i use that set up for surround sound? I am new to all this pairing and grouping and dont know how the surround sound set up works.

Hi Sarah

5.1 is only supported via a Playbar or Playbase paired with either x2 of the same of: Play:1's, Sonos Ones, Play:3's or Play:5's. Without the Playbar or Playbase, the most you can achieve is a paired Stereo pair.

Also, how easy is it to move the sonos ones around i.e. sometimes they'd be used as surround sound and sometimes theyd be grouped or set up in different rooms each playing individual music. I'm after flexibility really without having to pay a fortune! Thanks for any help.

You can move your players around but I try not to separate a Stereo pair because of the time taken to calibrate via TruePlay (This balances the Audio from each of the Speakers). Regardless of how many Players you purchase, you have the ability to sync the same music throughout all rooms or play different music on each room.
ah ok, what a shame. Thank you for your help though. Appreciate your time 🙂
Badge
Yes, it is a shame. If Sonos would make their software so that any combination of speakers can be combined for 5.1, that would be a world beater. The Sonos 5 is better for music than the Bar or Base, and so we did not see any compelling reason to get either and will not.