Question

Play:5 and Epson projector

• 17 October 2017
  • 7 replies

I know that questions about how to connect digital projectors with Sonos components have been asked over and over, and I understand that a Playbar or Playbase connected via an optical cable is the centerpiece of a home theater experience.

I am looking for something simpler and more portable, using an Epson Home Cinema 2150. I have several Play:5's, Connect's, and Connect:Amp's at my disposal. Is there a way to set up this projector WIRELESSLY with 1. a stereo pair of Play:5's (paired as a "zone") or 2. a pair of non-Sonos speakers connected to a Connect:Amp? I know I'm not getting anything resembling home theater sound, I just would like WIRELESS sound louder than what comes out of the projector speaker, ideally using Sonos components -- but am not interested in wiring up a Playbar/Playbase.

I'll be grateful for any ideas you can share. Thank you!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Well, a quick google search says that the projector has an audio out, so you could absolutely connect the projector to a CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP, or PLAY:5. In all cases, the analog audio provided still needs to be dealt with for moving to digital and buffered for distribution across the Sonos network, so there'd be a slight delay in the audio (usually minimum around 70 ms, but can vary based on settings) . Once the data is in the Sonos network, you could send it to any attached speaker you so choose.

But in all cases, this would require a wire (or wireless device like a bluetooth transmitter) attached to the jack on the projector.

There's no way to connect the projector wirelessly to the Sonos network without using that jack.
Airgetlam, thank you very much for your quick an detailed response. I'm willing to try anything ... 🙂

1. By "jack" you mean the "Audio Out"?
2. I probably sound completely clueless, but how would I get the signal from the Bluetooth transmitter into the Sonos network, to be played in a specific "zone"?

Thanks again!
1) Yes, by "jack" I do indeed mean the audio out. Sorry for not being more clear (it was in my mind, just didn't flow to the fingers typing the answer)

2) Ah, sorry. So, you'd obviously need both the transmitter and and a receiver. The transmitter would be plugged in to the audio out on the projector, and the receiver would be connected either to a PLAY:5 line in, or one of the CONNECTS.

Note that the CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP have RCA inputs, the PLAY:5 has a 3.5mm (headphone) jack. I'm not that familiar with these devices since I've never bought one, but it may make a difference to you what kind of connector is available on each end. If you're using the PLAY:5, then both ends would have the headphone style jack.
Brilliant!!! Thank you ...
One other question comes to mind. I promise/hope that that will be the last one on this topic ... :-)

Would I be able to somehow (wirelessly!) pair *2* Play:5's such that both would would play the audio signal coming from the projector via the Bluetooth sender/receiver combo? I know it can be done for "normal" use of Sonos speakers within the Sonos app, but could it somehow work with the setup you suggested (for example, could the Bluetooth signal be input to a Connect or Bridge, which then exclusively connects to those 2 Play:5's?). I know that sounds like overkill -- but I'm curious ...
Ugh - really last question: does that fact that the sole media source will be a latest-generation Apple TV change anything (somehow output sound [extractor?] from Apple TV directly to Sonos -- wirelessly ...)?
Answer to your first "last question" is yes :)

You can either set up the two PLAY:5s as a stereo pair and have one be left, the other right, or you could set them up as separate "rooms" and be mono speakers with the full amount of sound coming from both.

The key thing to think about when dealing with the line-in on the PLAY:5s is that it basically is a totally separate device from the actual speaker itself. So, it will take the stereo signal from the line-in, and you can choose to play it on any number of speakers that are in the Sonos ecosystem. In fact, you don't have to even play the source on the speaker the input is plugged in to....you can choose to assign it elsewhere. Not what you're planning on doing, I think, but an interesting fact. For all practical purposes, it acts like a CONNECT (not a BRIDGE, which has no analog inputs), which can also send the signal to any number of connected Sonos speakers.

2) I wouldn't think so. If the 4th gen Apple TV can play sound on the projector, then the sound would go out of the audio jack on the projector, and hence on to any connected device. So, if you're worried, connect your Apple TV to the projector, and see if the internal speaker works. In fact, attach a set of headphones to the audio out jack and check to see that it works.

The issue will end up being trying to appropriately balance the output of that audio out jack (if it's adjustable? I didn't check) and the input on the PLAY:5. If it's not adjustable, that's actually a good thing, you'll have a single level output going in to the PLAY:5 or CONNECT/CONNECT:AMP, which is really the desired situation.

If I've read this properly, you've already got all this equipment, why don't you try setting it up in your living room and do some testing? Always better to work out any issues that you have before you're in front of the public 🙂