Answered

Play 5:2 shows solid orange

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 8 replies
Hi,

This morning the music I played on my Play 5:2 stopped. Speaker showed solid orange. Impossible to re-pair.

So I reset it. It shows blinking green, speaker shows (with MAC) during the pairing process. However instead of turning white, turns blinking orange, then solid orange. After 10mn, solid orange switches to blinking green so I can try to pair again without resetting. However it would fail again with similar symptoms.

Tried resetting router, same behavior.

Diagnostics: 105485419

Can you help me?

Note that I am on the beta channel...
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 27 July 2018, 19:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

If indeed you're on a beta channel, then you shouldn't be posting here, but in the beta boards.
Badge
Following your advice I tried posting on https://betacommunity.sonos.com/topic/new
However the "Select where on the Beta Community your topic will be created." dropdown does not show any value which does not allow me to post there (error: "You haven't selected a subject.")

Browser: Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)

> I keep thinking that this issue is not related to software but rather to a network addressing issue...

Did you have a chance looking into the diagnostics?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Only Sonos employees can look at the diagnostics, not other users. I don't know if the folks from Sonos looking at stuff here also work the Beta program or not so best you try your question over there as was suggested.
Badge
Hi Stanley,

As mentioned, I'm not allowed to post there due to a technical problem.

So I will patiently wait for somebody from Sonos to pick it up from here.

Thanks anyway 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Stanley,

As mentioned, I'm not allowed to post there due to a technical problem.

So I will patiently wait for somebody from Sonos to pick it up from here.

Thanks anyway :)

Hi LeoG,

Thanks for reaching out. You're not actually on any active beta programs, so it shouldn't be a factor here. I do see that your speakers are losing connection to your wireless network frequently . This is probably why the update isn't working. Please try changing your router's wireless channel from 11, which is pretty crowded, to 1 or 6 and see if you can then update. If not, it may help to temporarily wire in one of your speakers using an ethernet cable, then see if you can update. Once updated you should be able to remove the cable.
Badge
Hi Jeff,

Spot on!
Before this test I switched my wireless network to canal 6. I am sure it has no impact because I have many other Sonos equipment much more distant from router working without problem.

Connecting my speaker through ethernet allowed me to pair it and play some music.
However, if I disconnect it from Ethernet, the speaker will stop playing "unable to connect to Sonos connect player". If I then disconnect the power cable and plug it again, it will end up in the same blinking orange status.

Speaker is now named dining room 2.
I tried creating a stereo pair thinking it may help it to "hold the connection" through its brother speaker, but it seems it did not help.

See diagnostics: 138998528

I precise that I noticed that it's impossible for me to follow the wireless setup on my app when the speaker is connected through Ethernet.

If the speaker has Ethernet unplugged, the wireless setup shows me to temporarily connect a speaker by cable.

When another speaker is connected by cable, no problem to setup wireless:
Diagnostics: 667933261

It looks to me like this speaker wants to work independently...
Does not make sense, right?
Rather than waiting on a response here, I'd recommend that you contact Sonos to discuss it.
Badge
I'd be honest: at this price point, if I have to give calls to obtain support for those speakers to connect as expected, I'd rather put the full system (7 equipments in my home) on my local Craig's list and look into a system from a serious brand (yamaha, etc.)

Thoughts?
I'd be honest: at this price point, if I have to give calls to obtain support for those speakers to connect as expected, I'd rather put the full system (7 equipments in my home) on my local Craig's list and look into a system from a serious brand (yamaha, etc.)

Thoughts?

You don’t have to phone them if you don’t want to, just send them a message via twitter or Facebook, the response in those areas are 24/7... that’s not the case here in the community.

It sounds to me like your speaker WiFi card is faulty, but that’s just a complete guess on my part. Let the staff know your most recent diagnostic reference and hopefully they will resolve the matter, though personally I find it’s usually easier to give Sonos a call and sort it out quickly over the phone.
Badge
understood. I expected Sonos to be more reactive through their (own) community...

Must have been mistaken 😉
The community here is mostly about 'experienced' end-users, trying to help new Sonos users, or those folk that encounter difficult problems to resolve. The staff are about here too quite often and do help at every opportunity that they can, however it’s just not 24/7, like Twitter and Facebook. In your case it sounds like a faulty WiFi card issue so for that type of potential hardware problem, you need to chat to Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff,

Spot on!
Before this test I switched my wireless network to canal 6. I am sure it has no impact because I have many other Sonos equipment much more distant from router working without problem.

Connecting my speaker through ethernet allowed me to pair it and play some music.
However, if I disconnect it from Ethernet, the speaker will stop playing "unable to connect to Sonos connect player". If I then disconnect the power cable and plug it again, it will end up in the same blinking orange status.

Speaker is now named dining room 2.
I tried creating a stereo pair thinking it may help it to "hold the connection" through its brother speaker, but it seems it did not help.

See diagnostics: 138998528

I precise that I noticed that it's impossible for me to follow the wireless setup on my app when the speaker is connected through Ethernet.

If the speaker has Ethernet unplugged, the wireless setup shows me to temporarily connect a speaker by cable.

When another speaker is connected by cable, no problem to setup wireless:
Diagnostics: 667933261

It looks to me like this speaker wants to work independently...
Does not make sense, right?

Hi LeoG,

Due to the nature of this issue it would be best if our phone team could take a look live. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number and hours here.