Play 5 1st gen

• 7 June 2018
  • 8 replies

I am wondering if I already have one Play 5 (first gen) should I buy 2 play 1’s or another play 5, if my intention is to use them as tv stereos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you intend to ONLY use 2 x Sonos speakers as "TV stereos" (Ie no Playbase or Playbar) then Play:1s doth butter no parsnips as they don't have a line-in input so no way to get the TV audio to them (Unless you by a Connect and send the TV audio to that). The Play 5s (Gen 1 and 2) both have a line-in and you could get TV sound to them that way but be warned there would be a 70ms audio delay which may or may not be acceptable to you (some are more susceptible).

Alternatively if you mean to add 2 Sonos speakers as surrounds to a Playbar/Playbase then Play1s, Sonos1s, Play 3s and Play 5 (Gen 2) can do that job
Acceptable, susceptible, it is a respectable spectacle!
What I mean is I already have a Sonos play 5 (1st generation). I have ready this is not good for surround sound for tv. But since I already have it, if I want to enhance the experience (but not surround sound), should I buy 2 play 1 (1st generation) or another play 5 (1st generation)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd get another Gen 1 Play 5 in that situation.
Thanks! Appreciate. Last question, if I were to buy another play 5 gen 1, would I then just place both speakers next to either side of the television?
Thanks! Appreciate. Last question, if I were to buy another play 5 gen 1, would I then just place both speakers next to either side of the television?
You can put them wherever they sound best to you in the room, it all depends if you decide to 'group' them or 'pair' them.

If you 'group' them, the left and right audio channel will be the same from each speaker. If you 'pair' them then one speaker will just play the left audio channel and the other will play the right channel, thus giving you stereo separation.

But also note, as Stuart says earlier, the audio out the two Play-5's maybe delayed, compared to the in-built TV speakers and you may find you need to mute those to stop any audio 'echo effect' in the room and there maybe a noticeable 'lip-sync' problem with the on-screen TV picture.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great discussion everyone, just adding another voice, if your TV has HDMI-ARC, you may want to look into the new product that was just announced, the Beam. It'll cost a little less than another Play:5 (depending on what you find a used gen 1 for), and only slightly more than a pair of Play:1s.

The Beam will act as the center, left and right channels for your TV. With HDMI it'll have better sound than a stereo line-in and it's designed for use with the TV, so there's no audio delay with the lip-sync.

What I mean is I already have a Sonos play 5 (1st generation). I have ready this is not good for surround sound for tv. But since I already have it, if I want to enhance the experience (but not surround sound), should I buy 2 play 1 (1st generation) or another play 5 (1st generation)?
It may be worth mentioning that the Play:5 gen1 can't be paired with a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam as surround speakers, so that might be what you heard.
Thanks everyone. Seems like the first Gen Play 5 is only good as an in-room speaker for music and stuff. Pity.