Answered

Play:3 won't add to my group??

• 6 January 2019
  • 1 reply

I bought a Play:3 speaker. When I try to add it to the group through the App on WiFi, it says that it cannot connect(after finding the exact speaker) and directs me to try to connect it directly to the router. Still no good. It even comes up on the app to say add Play:3 and the Serial Number, but continues to not connect. I had the exact same challenge with the Play:1 when I got it 6months ago, but cannot remember the fix the Sonos tech guy did over the phone, after stepping me through all these steps again, you know, 'turn it off and back on again' etc. 😃. If anyone has the way around this, keen to hear it instead of having to do another 30min phone call as the tech 'troubleshoots' with me - which I know they have to do, but I have already done the generic steps they take me through. Thank you in advance.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 6 January 2019, 12:00

RyanTheLegend,

The issue here is that the Sonos Tech Guy may have manually sent an update to the speaker without you realising it, or more-likely configured your routers settings temporarily to get around any firewall security, for the earlier device to receive an update. Anyhow...

The setup should normallly work when directly cabled to your router, unless you have an unusual network setup perhaps? Is there a firewall on your router?

Have you thought of placing the speaker's IP address in the routers DHCP Reservation Table and perhaps temporarily placed it in the DMZ, to get any possible updates ? ... if you do not understand what I mean by that, then I would definitely leave things to Sonos Technical Support Staff. If you do understand it, then please don’t forget to shift the speaker out of the DMZ afterwards and secure your devices correctly on your network.

I hope that gives you some further ideas to try.?
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

RyanTheLegend,

The issue here is that the Sonos Tech Guy may have manually sent an update to the speaker without you realising it, or more-likely configured your routers settings temporarily to get around any firewall security, for the earlier device to receive an update. Anyhow...

The setup should normallly work when directly cabled to your router, unless you have an unusual network setup perhaps? Is there a firewall on your router?

Have you thought of placing the speaker's IP address in the routers DHCP Reservation Table and perhaps temporarily placed it in the DMZ, to get any possible updates ? ... if you do not understand what I mean by that, then I would definitely leave things to Sonos Technical Support Staff. If you do understand it, then please don’t forget to shift the speaker out of the DMZ afterwards and secure your devices correctly on your network.

I hope that gives you some further ideas to try.?