Play 3 removed from range

• 6 October 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
This question is to sonos mainly but just wondered if anyone else new the answer. Yesterday I was just having a look on the sonos website as we were thinking of buying the sonos one as a present for someone for Christmas & I just happened to notice that the play 3s that I purchased a couple of years ago have been marked up as discontinued & also was therefore wondering if there is a replacement & if so what it is as when I purchased them was under the impression that the play 1 was basic although very good quality speaker the plays 3 was a better quality speaker with a better sounding bass as it contains the 3 speakers rather than the one speaker in the play 1 & then there was the play5 which obviously was for a big room as it had the 5 speakers in it. I’m just not sure whether it’s been replaced or whether there’s something in the pipeline for the future.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Lots of questions on a Play 3 replacement and a few rumors but nothing solid that I have seen or even a commitment from Sonos that there will be a replacement in that size.

Having 1s, 3s and 5s I can see a place for the 3s, they are much nicer sounding in my 10x10 foot office space than 1s and take up a lot less space than 5s not to mention being less expensive. The pair of 3s also has a much better stereo image than a single 5 which is why I went that route in the first place.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
My first 2 sonos speakers were play 3’s & to be honest I had them connected as stereo speakers then I added a Sonos playbar but soon realised that they were wasted as surrounds. I put 1 in my front room & 1 in my kitchen instead & then i added two play 1s as surrounds . Unless your planning on using 2 play 1s as a stereo pair then your not gonna get the same quality.
Play 3 hasn’t been updated in a long time, kinda guessing they have a sonos enabled play 3 or updated play 3 coming?

Funny you mention not being able to find it, was about to buy one as a gift this morning and I saw it was discontinued
I was just planning on buying a Play 3 for my kids' condo and am sad to see it gone. Replacement coming? I hope so.
I was just planning on buying a Play 3 for my kids' condo and am sad to see it gone. Replacement coming? I hope so.I doubt it, somehow. A pair of Play:1s gives a better result for similar money (IMO). Of course I could be completely wrong.
Userlevel 7
Hi kihollihan

I agree with John B. Here's a bit more on why Play 1's x 2 actually surpass a Play 3. The Play 3 was marketed as a small stand-alone speaker that could deliver a stereo image. That claim was true but only to point. After moving about 6 feet away (some say even less) the stereo affect was gone or sounded more mono. However, Play 3's x 2 in stereo pair maintained the stereo image beyond 6 feet and was only limited by room size.

In comes the Play 1. Sonos had designed a speaker that packed a punch as a stand-alone that was only slightly outshined by the Play 3. Critical listeners and reviewers soon started touting the sonic excellence of the Play 1 especially in a stereo pair. They made more sense in size with hard to discern differences between them (Play 1 x 2) and a stereo pair of Play 3's. Adding a Sonos sub and the difference became moot.

The Play 1 is also moisture resistant which gave it a leg-up on the Play 3 for being used in a bathroom and kitchen area (the latter being less significant). Size made the Play 1 perfect for travel between the main house and cottage as well as use in a college dorm room where internet might be available.

So I'd spring for the few extra bucks and go with Play 1's x 2 (used in stereo pair or as Zone speakers) Good luck with your decision.

Cheers!