Answered

Play:3 Power Supply Caps blown - replacement kit advice?

• 29 March 2020
  • 4 replies

Today my Play:3 died with the unpleasant smell of crispy electronics.

Since it’s well out of warranty, I thought I’d have a look and found that the PSU had suffered the fate of many-a Play:3 with an exploding capacitor.

Looks like mine has destroyed the tracks around about it and given Sonos have done nothing despite knowing about a large number of identical failures, and the latest dropping of “old” kit, I’ll be getting rid of all my Sonos gear and replacing it with reliable kit from someone else.

Extremely disappointed. 

Anyone got any recommendations for who to look at? Preferably a company that cares about its install base of course.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 29 March 2020, 21:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have 3 Play:3s that are at least 7 years old with never a problem.   I have never seen any consistent problem on power supply of Play:3 - maybe someone online says happened to them but the thousands and thousands of play:3 owners that has never happened to aren’t going to come talk about it.

As a matter of fact I have over a dozen Sonos units and have never had a single one malfunction.

So one experience on a Play:3 makes not for some inherent issue.  Only inherent issue I have ever heard of involved some faulty wifi cards a few years back and Sonos has replaced any with the issue free of charge.   I believe they also have a program for items like your Play:3 in need of repair to do a swap for fee when out of warranty.

Good luck with your rhetorical what else is out there speech.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Anyone got any recommendations for who to look at? Preferably a company that cares about its install base of course.

I’d suggest stick with Sonos. They still support electronic smart kit developed and sold 15 years ago. Are there many/any other companies doing that?

Hi @saladdaze. I appreciate you bringing this information to our attention. 

I would like to continue this conversation through DM. (direct messaging)

I have already sent you a message with a case number.

I have 3 Play:3s that are at least 7 years old with never a problem.   I have never seen any consistent problem on power supply of Play:3 - maybe someone online says happened to them but the thousands and thousands of play:3 owners that has never happened to aren’t going to come talk about it.

As a matter of fact I have over a dozen Sonos units and have never had a single one malfunction.

So one experience on a Play:3 makes not for some inherent issue.  Only inherent issue I have ever heard of involved some faulty wifi cards a few years back and Sonos has replaced any with the issue free of charge.   I believe they also have a program for items like your Play:3 in need of repair to do a swap for fee when out of warranty.

Good luck with your rhetorical what else is out there speech.

So you’ve never seen a problem so there isn’t one. Ok - I’ve to take your one example as representative but if you bother to search online for blown caps sonos play 3, you’ll find a very large number of incidents but that doesn’t show an inherent issue. I see. Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation.